Is SSD speed really worth it?

SSD more reliable? LOL. xD Try edit video with only SSD, it will kill it in 2-weeks-time. ;) Memory in SSD is just in beguining phase, so it's not the very best one. Anyway, if I had to buy SSD, I would probably go with onces with 10 year warranty.

Kill it in 2 weeks time? What makes you think that? If that is true, why do respectable PC companies like Puget Systems, who design computers specifically for video editing, put SSDs in all their computers?

I've been using the SSD in my laptop to do video editing every single day for the last year or so and the health of the drive is fine.

Many popular hard drive manufacturers have fail rates over 10% and across the board most stats state that HDD fail rates are at 3.5% compared to SSD fail rates at 0.3 percent (my post originally linked to several articles that showed this, but YTTalk does not allow links to be attached).

To make matters worse, many of the companies with the worst fail rates (Seagate etc) sometimes only offer one or two year warranties (exact amount depends on region, product in question etc).

SSD has limitation in terms of writing and rewriting stuff on it. F.E. if SSD has lifespan of 500GB, it will die after 500GB. And video edit will take a lot of memory in that lifespan. Don't know the correct info how much SSD lasts in terms of memory writing lifespam, but I knew that info in past. You can probably google it.

Back