Is SSD speed really worth it?

Realistically; yes and no. SSD's are significantly faster then HDD's and have a much lower risk of Hardwear failure. However they are rediculously costly and do suffer a much higher risk of Software failure than traditional HDD's so ultimately its horses for courses in my opinion...if you like to be able to just get on and want things doing as soon as possible with money not being an option i'd say stick with SSD's from now on because in a way its future proofing. though make sure you keep plenty of backups because if your editing on them it will cause them to wear out sooner rather than later...if however you arnt fussed by read/write speed and you are on a budget i'd say stick with HDD's for the moment...but again make backups of your work regularly :)
so if i edit off a external HDD onto that same HDD will it prolong my SSD's lifespan?[DOUBLEPOST=1512391218,1512391198][/DOUBLEPOST]
Had SSD, traded it for 1TB HDD. Video editing will kill your SSD instantly. It just kills it. So it's not worth it. ;)
i have a 2TB external HDD that i store on[DOUBLEPOST=1512391267][/DOUBLEPOST]
Good HDD can last 15 years withour problem ... SSD probably can't even 5.
this old vista pc in the study has lasted around 10+ so thats true

I had one 9 years old HDD from my past PC ... regret solding it and buying new one. :D Even if it was like 320gb, it was made like tank. :D

so if i edit off a external HDD onto that same HDD will it prolong my SSD's lifespan?

thats an interesting question...I would suppose that if your exporting a video file to a HDD the strain would mainly be on your processor working through the export. the HDD would take the writing /storage strain out of it...meaning realistically, assuming your edits arnt too involved) the SSD would probably last longer because its dealing with less writing/rewriting tasks...you'd just need to make sure your scratch discs were set to your HDD rather than your SSD or it would rather defeat the point :)

Believe the hype. SSDs will give you a major performance boost. Faster booting times, faster loading times, less noise, less weight.

All my pcs and laptops use SSD for the main drives. I couldn't go back. I currently have a 3.5" HDD in my main pc, but I'm gonna remove that and just keep it for storage (backing up YouTube videos etc).

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

"Believe the hype. SSDs will give you a major performance boost. Faster booting times, faster loading times, less noise, less weight."

I agree, but I don't see it making much/any difference to editing and processing time. My Intel I5 is flat out processing and compiling with a normal HD, so I don't see how an SSD is going to improve things.

As for boot time, meeeh, has never bothered me. HD doesn't take more than a few minutes.

"Believe the hype. SSDs will give you a major performance boost. Faster booting times, faster loading times, less noise, less weight."

I agree, but I don't see it making much/any difference to editing and processing time. My Intel I5 is flat out processing and compiling with a normal HD, so I don't see how an SSD is going to improve things.

As for boot time, meeeh, has never bothered me. HD doesn't take more than a few minutes.

Your i5 CPU and HDD will be bottlenecks. Not sure what version of the i5 you have, but it is unlikely to have hyperthreading. A quad core i7 and above would help improve.

Your HDD will slow everything down too. Search for "SSD Vs HDD for video editing" on YouTube to see examples of how an SSD can improve. How much time it will save will depend on the length of the video and other factors, but an SSD will undoubtedly be quicker.

It's no surprise when you consider write times.

In my pc just now I have a Samsung 960 Evo 250gb and a Seagate 2tb Barracuda HDD.

The Samsung can, in theory, write up to 1,500 MB/s and read up to 3,200 MB/s (lots of things can stop you reaching this such as heat, other components etc).

In comparison my Seagate drive, which at 7200RPM is a decent hard drive, can do write times of around 200MB/s.

That means the Samsung has the potential to write to the disk 7.5 times quicker. Obviously, other factors will stop that from happening, but you should see a marked improvement with an SSD.

Some SSDs only have write speeds of 500MB/s or so, so the performance jump may not be as significant.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi Elpixion, SSD is definitely better. Faster, More reliable, and personally what I like best is that they run completely silently. You typically get less storage because they are expensive however.. Your Dell laptop can be expanded!. with further storage of 256GB easily & cheaply achieved using just the external SD drive or with SSD 2.5 SATA in USB Caddy. I have a video review on my YouTube channel thats easy enough to find as I only have 5 uploads. Ignore that is Mac, the principle and products featured are for PC laptops too. You can also see a speed test of HD vs SSD. Hope thats helpful a little.

SSD more reliable? LOL. xD Try edit video with only SSD, it will kill it in 2-weeks-time. ;) Memory in SSD is just in beguining phase, so it's not the very best one. Anyway, if I had to buy SSD, I would probably go with onces with 10 year warranty.

Without a shadow of a doubt SSD’s are way faster than mechanical hard-drives. I’ve been using a Kingston 480g for over a year now and works like a charm. I do video editing and a lot of gaming on it. When it comes to reliability, luck plays a big factor, on one side, I still have hard drives from 6-8 years that are in working condition but on the other side
I did have a disk fail on me literally 2 days after purchase.

Back