Is it true you need to have schedule for videos?

daisytalk

Reaction score
I try to upload 3-5 videos per week, others upload 2-4 videos PER DAY! I am wondering if you upload not as frequently then youtube sees your channel as "inactive" and positions it at the bottom of related titles/topics? What if you miss your schedule to upload a video? Does it really hurt your subscribers?

Thanks.

Toast Gaming

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It is not so much that it is "bad" perse, however if you upload at regular intervals then your subscribers know when to expect new content and how often to expect it. If they subscribe to you and you put out 2 videos in the same day, they may think "hey, this guys is putting out 2 videos a day, that's awesome!" and then they come to find that this was an isolated thing and the next couple weeks you're only putting out 3 per week. It is about setting expectations for your subscribers in when to expect content and how much of it. It very well may play some part into YouTube's algorithm as well, but I think it is more the expectations on subscribers that plays the heavier role in this regard (I may be wrong, of course).

RJHoodie

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It is not so much that it is "bad" perse, however if you upload at regular intervals then your subscribers know when to expect new content and how often to expect it. If they subscribe to you and you put out 2 videos in the same day, they may think "hey, this guys is putting out 2 videos a day, that's awesome!" and then they come to find that this was an isolated thing and the next couple weeks you're only putting out 3 per week. It is about setting expectations for your subscribers in when to expect content and how much of it. It very well may play some part into YouTube's algorithm as well, but I think it is more the expectations on subscribers that plays the heavier role in this regard (I may be wrong, of course).
I totally agree. An important aspect of this is communicating to your subscribers what your schedule is as well, and that'll avoid any confusion on that end.

Commander Skull

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Reviewer, Cartoonist, Animator
Depends. A schedule is good to have as it can give your subscribers a somewhat accurate representation when to return to the channel(in how many days). I for instance upload my vlog episodes Sunday and during the week I upload a gameplay video if I can.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy forum.

Think about your favourite TV show. They start showing episodes regularly every Wednesday night at 8 pm. Then one Wednesady night, there's no episode but no explanation either. If that keeps happening, eventually you'll give up waiting and look for other shows to watch..........

Reactions: Riddikore

Its Ryan

Youtuber?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yes it is very important and it lets your viewers know when to watch your videos. Youtube also goes by consistency so if you post on the same days every week youtube will take notice and will rank you higher in search and that can really help you.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Alongside your viewers, a schedule is really good for you as a creator, because it gives you a way to schedule your time around filming, editing, uploading, etc. Just uploading randomly leads to big bursts up uploads, followed by a huge crash where you upload nothing at all. I've seen so many channels who get a huge burst of creativity (or just feel like they need to catch a lot of views) and then they go as dark as they would if they abandoned their channels.

Being on a schedule puts some parameters around the whole creation process. If you upload on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, then you know you'll be filming in a timely fashion to be able to make that schedule. You'll also avoid burning out by filming and uploading every idea that comes into your head at once and then running out of time, patience, or enthusiasm when you are done with those ideas.

Reactions: Riddikore

daisytalk

Reaction score
Thank you all very much for detailed answers. I helps me to strategize my channel and schedule.

ChimpyGlassman

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think 3-5 is a good number. 2-3 A DAY is a huge amount of time devoted to making videos.

BrokenGames

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It's not bad, but it's not good to upload without a schedule. While some people might have notifications on for your channel, many of your subscribers won't. Without a schedule, they won't know when to check your channel for a new video and eventually they'll just forget about you altogether.

You'll know which guys have notifications on(In my situation, there's always a guy who comments "first" just 1-3 minutes after each upload, and unless he's just very lucky, he has notifications on) and you'll quickly realize that a lot of people aren't seeing your videos when you upload.

So what do you do?
You make a schedule!

I am someone who needs time to critically watch and edit videos over and over, so I give myself lots of time between uploads. I upload on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I record on Friday nights and all day Saturday. I edit for Monday on Sunday, for Wednesday on Tuesday, and so on. It gives me a lot of time to get videos out because when I tried to upload twice a day, I would often have to go on long breaks because I get too stressed or tired. Make a schedule that works for you and make it obvious that you have a schedule by putting it in your channel's about tab, in the descriptions of all your videos, and maybe even say it at the end of your videos. If your viewers know when to come to your channel to see a video, it will make seeing your videos a lot easier for them and you'll notice your views go up(specifically views from subscribers) and up as more people catch on to your upload schedule.

Hope this helped! It's 12:38 am and I have no Idea if what I'm typing is even making any sense, but no turning back now I guess lol