Is it ever too late to change video [meta] tags??

Reaction score
I started my YouTube channel a few months ago and started posting videos before fully understanding how to use tags strategically. I missed out on a lot of high search volume keywords in those tags and am planning on updating the tagging of my early videos. From my understanding/research, YouTube's ranking algorithm supposedly analyzes the video's tags the first day or two and then the ranking algorithm mostly focuses on video performance.

Does this mean changing the tags of my videos that have already been uploaded for 3 months will not help improve my videos ranking? (or at least not as much as if I were to properly tag as I uploaded the video).

Is this the same for using KWs in title/description?

Thanks in advance!

Craig

Reactions: Time Jacker

Time Jacker

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I started my YouTube channel a few months ago and started posting videos before fully understanding how to use tags strategically. I missed out on a lot of high search volume keywords in those tags and am planning on updating the tagging of my early videos. From my understanding/research, YouTube's ranking algorithm supposedly analyzes the video's tags the first day or two and then the ranking algorithm mostly focuses on video performance.

Does this mean changing the tags of my videos that have already been uploaded for 3 months will not help improve my videos ranking? (or at least not as much as if I were to properly tag as I uploaded the video).

Is this the same for using KWs in title/description?

Thanks in advance!

Craig
Not at all - in fact I know many creators who have said they've managed to turn a dead video right around with a bit of metadata tweaking. Tags are definitely still important and definitely still worth tweaking. Caption your videos if you have not already; I definitely get a bit of traffic from people searching for specific phrases that only appear in my video captions and that YouTube auto translated incorrectly. Video titles, thumbnails and descriptions are all the most important and can have the biggest effect (for better or worse) when you change them. Definitely experiment.

Reaction score
Not at all - in fact I know many creators who have said they've managed to turn a dead video right around with a bit of metadata tweaking. Tags are definitely still important and definitely still worth tweaking. Caption your videos if you have not already; I definitely get a bit of traffic from people searching for specific phrases that only appear in my video captions and that YouTube auto translated incorrectly. Video titles, thumbnails and descriptions are all the most important and can have the biggest effect (for better or worse) when you change them. Definitely experiment.
Thanks, really helpful to know! I think I could definitely improve my descriptions as well... time to get to work!

Reactions: Time Jacker