I'm having trouble editing.

I'm going to say something that will p**s people off, but it's still true. This comes up for writers a lot, people saying they can't write, they procrastinate, they get bored, etc. And here's the truth of that.

If you don't write, you're not a writer. Writers write. It's what they do.

Likewise, video creators make videos. It's what they do. If they don't make videos, if they don't want to make videos, if they aren't excited to make videos, if they can't force themselves to make videos, they are not video makers. They are poseurs.

Being a professional means you do what you have to do whether you want to or not. No excuses, no complaints, if you have to make a video, you sit down and you do it. Nobody cares if you want to. It's your job. If you don't want to do your job, quit. Go find something else to do that you want to do. There is no magical formula for forcing yourself to do what has to be done. You do it because you have to do it.

So stop complaining and get to work.

To me it sounds more like you are getting "burnt out" from creating videos. Regardless of what they are, gaming, vlogging, reviews, etc. And it's quite easy to feel that way. It happens to everyone from time to time. Some possible solutions could be:

1. Take a break, hit that next vacation.
2. Work through it.
3. Try creating something new that you're passionate about. Will spark new interest in content creation.
4. (Which you mentioned this option) Hire an editor. (Not needed, just wanted to add that in there.)
5. Listen to music when you edit? (As long as it's not audio related for that moment.)

Some videos take longer then others from writing to filming, editing, etc. But your work flow does become faster as you get better at it. One video (of your choice) can start at 3 hours to edit. But upon making that same type of video every week for months it may now take you a little over 1 hour. Since you do it so often and your skills have improved. That could also help prevent burn out when it becomes second nature. As long as it doesn't begin to lose quality in your videos. Hope that helps a little bit.

It may mean you aren't passionate about making videos anymore. Usually if it's something you really love, you'll achieve it no matter what. All my videos I've edited in one night, can take up to 6 hours, to colour correct, colour grade(roughly), adjust voice track volume, add pictures, add visual effects, add a music track (adjust the volume) and make a thumbnail. Good luck!

I actually really love making videos and stopping would crush me. It's just editing is an issue for me. But I don't wanna stop because one thing is in my way. I'm just looking for ways around it.[DOUBLEPOST=1532993235,1532993165][/DOUBLEPOST]
To me it sounds more like you are getting "burnt out" from creating videos. Regardless of what they are, gaming, vlogging, reviews, etc. And it's quite easy to feel that way. It happens to everyone from time to time. Some possible solutions could be:

2. Work through it.
3. Try creating something new that you're passionate about. Will spark new interest in content creation.
4. (Which you mentioned this option) Hire an editor. (Not needed, just wanted to add that in there.)
5. Listen to music when you edit? (As long as it's not audio related for that moment.)

Some videos take longer then others from writing to filming, editing, etc. But your work flow does become faster as you get better at it. One video (of your choice) can start at 3 hours to edit. But upon making that same type of video every week for months it may now take you a little over 1 hour. Since you do it so often and your skills have improved. That could also help prevent burn out when it becomes second nature. As long as it doesn't begin to lose quality in your videos. Hope that helps a little bit.
That could really work. Thanks![DOUBLEPOST=1532993324][/DOUBLEPOST]
When I first started I did the same. Could edit for hours and upload the same day it was shot. As time progressed I took more time, and now I take more time still. I want to do other things besides YouTube, and YouTube was consuming me. I was treating it as a job and it was very clearly a hobby, it still is to this day. So now I edit till I get to a point where I start taking shortcuts. Sometimes that moment comes in 15 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes and sometimes I edit for hours before that happens. You need to stay happy throughout the process, editing by far is the most irritating of it all. But I will never pay anyone to do it for me. The editing is what makes the videos yours. An editor is not going to be able to do what I do, isn't going to capture what I do either. So even if it becomes a more significant part of my life down the line (not holding my breath) I will still edit my own stuff.
Exactly.[DOUBLEPOST=1532993594][/DOUBLEPOST]

2. Work through it.

Actually you know, now that I'm coming back I've realized... I've been editing and when I'm not I'm stressing about not editing all summer... maybe I do need a break.

I actually really love making videos and stopping would crush me. It's just editing is an issue for me. But I don't wanna stop because one thing is in my way. I'm just looking for ways around it.
Maybe try a different editing style, I find if I do the same style for too long it get's boring. Always got to keep things interesting.

I'm going to say something that will p**s people off, but it's still true. This comes up for writers a lot, people saying they can't write, they procrastinate, they get bored, etc. And here's the truth of that.

If you don't write, you're not a writer. Writers write. It's what they do.

Likewise, video creators make videos. It's what they do. If they don't make videos, if they don't want to make videos, if they aren't excited to make videos, if they can't force themselves to make videos, they are not video makers. They are poseurs.

Being a professional means you do what you have to do whether you want to or not. No excuses, no complaints, if you have to make a video, you sit down and you do it. Nobody cares if you want to. It's your job. If you don't want to do your job, quit. Go find something else to do that you want to do. There is no magical formula for forcing yourself to do what has to be done. You do it because you have to do it.

So stop complaining and get to work.
Yes, you got the point, it's all about be yourself, it's about PASSION

Maybe try a different editing style, I find if I do the same style for too long it get's boring. Always got to keep things interesting.
So True, i am totally new here, i just learn to edit on my third videos, made a youtube video is easier to say than done LOL

But it's fun, so it's worth the "pain"

It doesn't even have to be a passion. If I wake up in the morning and don't feel like going to work, I still go. This has to be seen as a job. You don't have to feel like it. You just have to do it.
I See, interesting point of view
Thanks for showing me new paradigm about this

Back