How to vlog in public and in front of friends and relatives without feeling awkward?

Tinoquito

Reaction score
That's a big problem for me because I love to make videos in YouTube, and sometimes it's impossible for me because there are relatives near me when I want to record videos in my house, or when I wanna vlog in public and I have friends with me, relatives or in front of unknown people because I think they see me a lot and that they think this is awkward. What do you recommend me to do? Next year I will have a big opportunity and I want to record it for my YouTube Channel, but I will be with familiar people and friends, and I am very shy in that aspect, because I feel embarrased when I speak to the camera in front of that kind of people...

Waiting your answers, thank you for your help! :D

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the Strategy discussion forum. ^_^

I think part of it is just getting used to it. I also think that the bigger a following you grow, the more confidence you'll probably gain in front of the camera, and the more people might start to feel it's more of an honor to be in a video rather than an awkward thing.... I think building up confidence is the big underlining thing for vlogging. I attempted it once, and it's a lot harder and more embarrassing than most YouTubers make it look! :eek:

Nikki120113

YTTalk's Cookie Pizza
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Other
It just takes time & practice :) I'm still sort of in the same situation but i'm getting better at it slowly but surely. My own little personal trick is to keep my goal in mind & that if i really want to improve i have to improve on vlogging in public & with friends etc. That usually kicks my a** & lets me vlog fine around people haha :D

how about setting the camera on a tripod & essentially "forgetting" that its there & record what happening naturally? & keep vlogging even when its pointless, just cut the part out if its rubbish when you're editing but at least you've practiced some more :)

Reactions: Tinoquito

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
how about setting the camera on a tripod & essentially "forgetting" that its there & record what happening naturally?
I quite like this idea! You don't have to stick a camera on your face in order to vlog :)

What I personally do is acknowledge to myself that yes, it is awkward. I probably look very weird while doing it. I tell myself this and then decide that I am okay with that. I know why I vlog and how I can edit it. I am selective with the people I vlog around though. I have some colleagues who really duck out of the way/get uncomfortable when I'm filming, so I don't vlog when I'm with them. But I also have some friends that are okay with it and even don't mind to be in the video.

So overal, practice and mindset. If you act like it is a normal thing to do, people will be okay with it as well :p

Reactions: Nikki120113

Tinoquito

Reaction score
I moved this to the Strategy discussion forum. ^_^

I think part of it is just getting used to it. I also think that the bigger a following you grow, the more confidence you'll probably gain in front of the camera, and the more people might start to feel it's more of an honor to be in a video rather than an awkward thing.... I think building up confidence is the big underlining thing for vlogging. I attempted it once, and it's a lot harder and more embarrassing than most YouTubers make it look! :eek:
Sorry, is my first time here in yttalk. Thank you for the answer! Yes, I think i have to improve my confidence, and you are right, it's a lot harder than others make it look! I'm gonna practice in front of my family and friends, thank you for everything! :D[DOUBLEPOST=1514148914,1514148829][/DOUBLEPOST]
It just takes time & practice :) I'm still sort of in the same situation but i'm getting better at it slowly but surely. My own little personal trick is to keep my goal in mind & that if i really want to improve i have to improve on vlogging in public & with friends etc. That usually kicks my a** & lets me vlog fine around people haha :D

how about setting the camera on a tripod & essentially "forgetting" that its there & record what happening naturally? & keep vlogging even when its pointless, just cut the part out if its rubbish when you're editing but at least you've practiced some more :)
Thank you for the advice, you're right! I have to keep in mind my goal, so I'm gonna start vlogging in public to improve! Thanks :D[DOUBLEPOST=1514149026][/DOUBLEPOST]
I quite like this idea! You don't have to stick a camera on your face in order to vlog :)

What I personally do is acknowledge to myself that yes, it is awkward. I probably look very weird while doing it. I tell myself this and then decide that I am okay with that. I know why I vlog and how I can edit it. I am selective with the people I vlog around though. I have some colleagues who really duck out of the way/get uncomfortable when I'm filming, so I don't vlog when I'm with them. But I also have some friends that are okay with it and even don't mind to be in the video.

So overal, practice and mindset. If you act like it is a normal thing to do, people will be okay with it as well :p
You're right ! If I act like it is a normal thing, people will be ok with it... So I'm gonna start vlogging as well! Thank you for the advice! :D

Show Stephanie

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think its just part of getting used to it. You might not be as comfortable now but the more you push yourself out of your comfort zone the faster you will get used to it and feel more relaxed about doing it. I think if you look at alot of vloggers first videos compared to now u will see that with most of them they will have improved massively especially with their confidence and the way that they speak on camera and around others. Good luck :)