How to SEO - Titles Descriptions and Tags (Full guide with example)

@mikeliveslife , it depends

Since YouTube search does prioritize relevancy, if your metadata is laser optimized, then that can give you a boost.

However, YouTube sees accumulated watch time as supporting relevancy, so even a less-optimized video that has great watch time will rank high for certain keywords.

So, youtubers that have less views should start by optimizing for less competitive keywords first -- especially when those less competitive keywords currently have unoptimized videos.

@mikeliveslife , it depends

Since YouTube search does prioritize relevancy, if your metadata is laser optimized, then that can give you a boost.

However, YouTube sees accumulated watch time as supporting relevancy, so even a less-optimized video that has great watch time will rank high for certain keywords.

So, youtubers that have less views should start by optimizing for less competitive keywords first -- especially when those less competitive keywords currently have unoptimized videos.

Thank you so much that info will help a lot. Cheers

How can you tell if your videos are even fe displayed more due to SEO. Seeing as all my videos get around 15 views per video, I can't really tell. Number of tags, and titles, and descriptions don't seem to make a difference.

Great guide. I'm not sure if anyone else pointed this out, but I just wanted to give you a heads up about something. When you're logged into your YouTube account and search for your video it will be in a higher spot than it would if you were logged out. So in other words, YouTube is giving preference to your video because they assume that you'd want it to be more visible for yourself to see in search. This is the same with the rankings that are used in TubeBuddy. The rankings are based on you being logged into your YouTube account. And the same goes for the Google Plus page that was ranking in Google. If you logged out of your account, you wouldn't find it in Google search. Finding the true ranking has always been a headache for me, because I live in Canada and I want to see USA rankings but can't because they give a different ranking depending on your location, even in Google Incognito. For that you need to find a ranktracker that works for YouTube.

Thanks for the guide.

Great guide. I'm not sure if anyone else pointed this out, but I just wanted to give you a heads up about something. When you're logged into your YouTube account and search for your video it will be in a higher spot than it would if you were logged out. So in other words, YouTube is giving preference to your video because they assume that you'd want it to be more visible for yourself to see in search. This is the same with the rankings that are used in TubeBuddy. The rankings are based on you being logged into your YouTube account. And the same goes for the Google Plus page that was ranking in Google. If you logged out of your account, you wouldn't find it in Google search. Finding the true ranking has always been a headache for me, because I live in Canada and I want to see USA rankings but can't because they give a different ranking depending on your location, even in Google Incognito. For that you need to find a ranktracker that works for YouTube.

Thanks for the guide.
very interesting I did't now about it. Thanks for the tip

Great guide! Much appreciated Loki! My question is: How much is relevancy in the search is tied to subs, views, and time watched vs. a having relevancy due to a new/recently uploaded video? Does the algorithm take into account newer videos and give them a little boost in the results for a certain time period?

Last edited:
As a new member I think lucky day for me. After join here I learn the mandatory and helpful guide from you. It really fantastic journey for my new channel. Thank you.

Back