Julia and Claire

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Hi,
This year we are going into high school. This past year when we were in 8th grade, we barely had any homework, so we had a very free schedule to film and edit videos. In high school, we will get a lot more homework, we have to complete our PE credits outside of school (an hour a day), and we have a couple extra curricular activities. We also used to be able to get back to film from school a lot quicker in middle school since we lived close, but now the high school is a lot farther, so we would loose some time on the way home. On top of that, since there are two of us, scheduling is already harder since we have to find times when we can both film. We really want to continue youtube, but we're not sure how it'll be possible when there will be so many new adjustments going into high school. We'll really try to find a way and we'll probably work it out, but we thought we'd ask for some opinions on how to deal with this situation in case any of you had some input.

Thanks,
Julia and Claire

Lasersgo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
First off, good luck in high school! I found that's when I really found out the type of person I was going to be moving forward!

I would say if YouTube is something you really want to do, you'll have to make sacrifices. Maybe less uploads a week if you do more than one a week? Maybe change your recording days to Saturday and then upload Sunday? Take a step back and figure out a schedule that will work for both of you and then stick to it. It'll be hard, but you guys can do it!

Reactions: Julia and Claire

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Personally I would recommend you concentrate on school first. This should be your no.1 priority.
If/when you get some free time then look at your YouTubing. But at your age when you do get some free time you should be out playing/relaxing etc not stuck in front of a computer.

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Film whenever you have free time! You probably have the most time to do this now - it only gets busier as life goes on, uni, work. Keep making videos if you enjoy it - but don't forget to live life.
Elpixion is right - find a solid 5-6 hours on a weekend and make 2-3 videos, that will set you up for a few weeks.
How often do you upload?

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Not to de-rail the thread, but you have to get PE credits OUTSIDE of school hours? I know I'm old, but dang things have changed since I was in school! LOL

Depending on what your channel is about, filming before school might be the easiest if your afternoons and evenings are full of school stuff. Otherwise, batch film 3-4 videos on the weekend and edit during the week when you find some free time.

Also, just a thought here, but how about filming some WHILE you work on school projects, etc. That could be interesting for your subscribers to see what you're working on as you go through high school. Film your science fair projects. Film your debate practices. Film you and your friends studying biology with flash cards. Film your band or choir rehearsals. Etc.

Best of luck on your channel!

P14

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm in hs, I can tell you that you have two options: make sacrifices, or become more productive. Really it won't be that bad, it only gets busier from here on out; you should make school your priority as its your future. Youtube is not going anywhere, once you're in hs you can find free time inbetween your schedule and work on videos then.

If you get stressed, I'll reccommend sacrificing youtube and uploading less often (you can pick it up again later in life, you have plenty of time no need to rush)

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Determined people find a way to make time. They make it happen

Though I was in high school decades before YouTube or internet so I never had this problem

Noah Richardson

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
I personally am in high school at the moment, I am a full time member of the robotics team, do freelance graphic design work for people, have a part time job at a professional theater company, and live an hour away from my school, the theater, and the robotics team. One thing I have to say because, as much as I hate it, it has to come first: FOCUS ON SCHOOL. If you have to decide between missing an upload and writing a paper, write the paper. Nothing good comes from putting Youtube before school. However, if you learn to manage your time well and are determined, you'll be able to do all of it and more. Good luck in high school, it's a blast and goes by too quickly :)