How long should a Channel Trailer be?

Janell

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I recently created a YouTube Trailer for my Channel.

I purposely waited until I uploaded 40 videos so that I could capture what my channel was about, and have videos to highlight those topics.

However, I read that Trailers should only be about 1 min long so I did not highlight all the topics my channel has to offer, for the sake of keeping it short and sweet.

My question is, is it best to leave the trailer as is and perhaps study the outcome, or should I redo the trailer highlighting everything but make the mistake of it possibly being too long to watch?

What's your thoughts?

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
To me a channel trailer should only be 1-2 minutes long. Doesn't have to exactly be a minute or less. But a shorter trailer that is sweet and to the point is certainly more effective then a long one. =]

Try experimenting with both and see how they turn out. The shorter one or the one that is slightly longer with more of a recap.

Best of luck! =]

Janell

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks Farley Productions for your insight.

Do you think running a A/B testing where I run the shorter trailer for the month, then hide it and run the longer trailer for a month is reasonable? Or is that too long?

My channel is growing at a healthy pace. I am concern I will get a false positive if allow too much time to past. Especially if I grow rapidly. Kids channel can be so spontaneous. Some videos do really well, and bring in a lot of subscribers and some don't.

scott faulknor

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I need to get a channel trailer. I was trying to figure out how to get one up, but couldn't find the area to upload it to.

Janell

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi Scott!

I checked out your channel, and you have more than enough videos to pull a awesome trailer from.
I have been getting positive feedback from mines so and some new subscribers so I highly recommend doing one.

Here is how to do it:

To set up a channel trailer, you have to first turn on channel customization for the channel.

1.Upload the video you want to be your channel trailer.

2.Go to the channel you want to manage.

3.Click the For new visitors tab. If you don't see the "For new visitors" tab, follow these instructions to turn on channel customization for the channel.

4.Click on Channel trailer.

5.Choose the video by selecting its thumbnail or entering its URL.

Reactions: bluidguy

Olroy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
to be honest you don't need a trailer, instead I would recommend displaying one your videos that you feel you're proud of. Think of it this way, if you ran into a person on the street randomly and they asked if you had a youtube channel and if they could see a video of yours. Would you show them a channel trailer, or would you show them a video that you were really proud of?

Dismal Bliss

www.BDRC.tv
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
to be honest you don't need a trailer, instead I would recommend displaying one your videos that you feel you're proud of. Think of it this way, if you ran into a person on the street randomly and they asked if you had a youtube channel and if they could see a video of yours. Would you show them a channel trailer, or would you show them a video that you were really proud of?
This is an interesting point of view. I have yet to make a channel trailer, but recently it has been on my mind again. But then I took a look at some of the YouTubers that my family likes to watch, Roman Atwood, Dale Atwood, Charles Trippy, Casey Neistat, and many more, and almost NONE of them had channel trailers. They all feature a particular video for a period of time before replacing it with another one.

So I just did the same thing, and am featuring my latest and favorite video to date. The one you see currently in my signature below (about blowing things up in slow motion)....

Reactions: Olroy

DonHazeon

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
In my opinion I think a channel trailer is great to show your new audience what you are about and what you have to offer to them to get them to subscribe and watch your videos! I also think it's a bit more personal towards your audience.

I mean yes if you are big and have a massive amount of followers you don't need one.

But yeah it's mainly used to pull in new viewers for your channel

Keys

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think 40 seconds to 1 minute is the best, heck even 30 seconds would be good. People these days can be very impatient and won't stick around for a channel trailer if it's too long or doesn't grip them INSTANTLY. The unfortunate truth.

WoodenRailwayStudio

Youtube - for fun and profit!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I agree with you that you do not need a trailer and displaying one of your popular videos is a good idea. You can still create a trailer and use the trailer in an adwords campaign. If you do, be sure to use keywords that are very germane to your trailer video. Keep your bids low - even as low a 1 cent. If your trailer is good, you will pick up some new subscribers.