How do tech channels even start? There seems to be a high barrier cost.

Ampix0

Web Design Tutorials
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Know the channels that constantly review coll tech? Cool phones? and so on. Is there some secret to how they are able to obtain and review these items? I personally am not interested in starting a review channel, but If I wanted to do something like a custom computer build, in my case obviously I'm buying all my own parts and such.

I am building a small youtube studio, and I am starting a web/tech channel. So I think it will be close enough to my main topic to make a review / build log of my studio and use it to promote my upcoming web design series. So I will have the slight advantage of being able to review items I am buying.

What if I wanted to continue? What does it really take to obtain review items? or sponsored builds?

The way I assume channels like LinusTechTips appears to have a separate business that requires the tech he is already buying. At leas that is what it appears (I cant image his channel really requires the massive amount fo storage he has). Is that what the situation is in most cases?

WeiseGamer

Your #1 Source For Indie Gaming
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
This is one of my favorite tech channels, they have videos on this:

They have done multiple of these over the years. So check out their channel, get an idea from the ones I posted, they have a lot of content on the subject. (By a lot, I mean for a large channel/website they do one or two a year on it).

Reactions: xingcat

BecomeAPrime

Professional Designer/Photographer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
A lot of the stuff I review I bought with the money I've earned in my career. I don't review much but if I reviewed every piece of tech I own I could likely make a few hundred videos.

Reactions: WeiseGamer

TheTNGMen

I'm Just a Meme Machine
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would think some of them work for places like best buy and other electrical stores so they can get their hands on it pretty easily or something~

Ampix0

Web Design Tutorials
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is one of my favorite tech channels, they have videos on this:

They have done multiple of these over the years. So check out their channel, get an idea from the ones I posted, they have a lot of content on the subject. (By a lot, I mean for a large channel/website they do one or two a year on it).
Fantastic resources! Like you had that planned out haha. Thank you.

Reactions: WeiseGamer

lucagrabacr

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Another way is you can go to small local stores that sell parts and have spares lying around, borrow it from them and promote / mention their store in your review video.

WeiseGamer

Your #1 Source For Indie Gaming
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Fantastic resources! Like you had that planned out haha. Thank you.
Years ago (maybe 5+) these guys were just starting on their Website and I had a tech blog as well. I was getting some tips, they were doing well, they had an investor helping them out though too after they had a proven model.

I let that site go, but I still followed them on their site and YouTube.

Eventually I worked at T-Mobile for awhile and they covered a lot of Phone news, so it worked out well to help me with my job if I wanted additional research.

Now I just still follow them because I've known them for so long, I like their channel a lot.

Jake_Mistake

I've Got It
Reaction score
It's interesting you actually mention LinusTechTips because he does give some perspective on how his channel gets review samples. Just search on youtube for linus review samples it should be the first video that comes up.

Alternatively you can try and find a retailer (online or on site) that allows for a good refund policy. Buy the item for a couple of days and refund it back for a minimal fee. Of course, it would be better to obtain a deal from those retailers but to do that you'd need to provide some return on investment (watch the linus video to learn more about this).

Ampix0

Web Design Tutorials
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's interesting you actually mention LinusTechTips because he does give some perspective on how his channel gets review samples. Just search on youtube for linus review samples it should be the first video that comes up.

Alternatively you can try and find a retailer (online or on site) that allows for a good refund policy. Buy the item for a couple of days and refund it back for a minimal fee. Of course, it would be better to obtain a deal from those retailers but to do that you'd need to provide some return on investment (watch the linus video to learn more about this).
Yes, I had considered that but I would hate to do it as it actually hurts the store and the brand. I don't plan on being a review channel anyway but I would like to possibly plan for special cases.