Getting "Wanna be friends?" comment on every new upload

Hulio

YTtalk Mad
While there's always some random spam comment that gets posted now and then, for about the last 10 of my uploads I'm getting some channel commenting very early on "Wanna be friends?" And it's a different channel everytime. If Youtube flags it as spam, I confirm it as spam. If Youtube hasn't flagged it, I delete it. In one instance, I replied "what does that even mean?" but received no answer, of course. What a bizarre thing to say to a stranger online. All the channels have zero or 1 video uploaded. Has anyone else been experiencing this lately?

It's what the sub-for-sub crowd has started saying in an attempt to evade the SPAM filters. Yes, I get them. Sometimes they show up in the "likely spam" filter, but sometimes they leak through.

constantly see this on many different channels

where does this link go?

This link goes to the channel TheQuarterly specifically a video about how logan/tom/tem/tim/music etc. is using an exploit to snag peoples youtube accounts and use them to help the person in question gain subs, also using these accounts to get more accounts. towards the middle of the video he plays a video from a user named evan111 who, goes more indepth about this whole thing.

Edit: i looked around and didn't see any rules about embedding on the forum, thats why i provided a link above.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got that comment too. I replied before I found out there is apparently a way for whoever is behind the bot to steal the account solely because you replied to their comment. Hopefully, it's just an unsubstantiated rumour.

Dont reply or sub to those comments just ignore them..Those are harmful bots and can get your channel hacked!

@ThriftyAV no, actually it is an exploit to steal accounts outlined in thequarterly's latest video
Do a reddit search and you will see discussion of "wanna be friends" or "wanna be YouTube friends" being used as sub-for-sub comments dating back at least to 2018.

As far as the claim that these comments can result in exploitation, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The scare tactic vid by Evanz111 has spooked a LOT of people into sharing it, making this video his most popular by a significant margin. Very clever on his part. But a critical view of this post shows that it lacks verifiable evidence. And now folks, who have seen this vid go viral, are piggybacking on this scare tactic, like your "quarterly" fellow. This reminds me of chain mail Email scares from 20 years ago, revisited in a new form.

Do a reddit search and you will see discussion of "wanna be friends" or "wanna be YouTube friends" being used as sub-for-sub comments dating back at least to 2018.

As far as the claim that these comments can result in exploitation, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The scare tactic vid by Evanz111 has spooked a LOT of people into sharing it, making this video his most popular by a significant margin. Very clever on his part. But a critical view of this post shows that it lacks verifiable evidence. And now folks, who have seen this vid go viral, are piggybacking on this scare tactic, like your "quarterly" fellow. This reminds me of chain mail Email scares from 20 years ago, revisited in a new form.

Yeah, it sounded very weird to me, blatant vulnerabilities like this one on massive social media sites get patched and fixed before anybody even discovers them. However, "weird" seems to be a new normal for a lot of things lately, so I deleted the comment, blocked the dude, reported his account, changed my password and updated the 2-step verification info. It certainly won't hurt, so why not...

Back