Freedom pledges to invest $100,000 for its smaller partners - Thoughts?

I have plenty negative to say about Freedom and George. I have very little negative to say about this. I wish that he'd stop using the term sponsorship, because really, it's a raffle with conditions. But at the end of the day, it really makes no difference. They're going to pick people, by using the raffle to boost their own video engagement rates which is stock standard YouTube promotion. They give a piece of kit, the person who receives the piece of kit has to mention who gave it to them. Pretty minor all things considered.

Now, let's not pretend this has anything to do with helping the little guy. If that were the case, they would be spending it on something that helps the little guy. Proper channel promotion, perhaps based on small size but quality content. Adwords campaigns, featured content on the Freedom hub, paid for collabs by the network. A fancy looking headset, keyboard or mouse does nothing to improve the quality of a channel or help the channel grow unless they were recording their audio with a potato.

The absolute best thing that a network could do for a small channel they feel has good enough quality to get some real growth, is to give that channel a promotion boost. Pump in a couple hundred into adwords for a channel, give them a few hundred subscriber boost. And let the market determine who stays and who goes.

They could have added more sales reps to their team and sold campaigns that would benefit all of their partners.

heh, more...

Last edited:
Or alternatively remove the http:// and www. and post it like that and if that fails ask a staff member to embed it for you :)

I think this is great! It's about time that someone at least attempted to care about smaller channels.

I think this is great! It's about time that someone at least attempted to care about smaller channels.
It's not like other networks don't, they just invest it into something like technology that benefits everyone and don't shout about it.

Like if you take Fullscreen or Maker, they each had 10-15 developers atleast.
For those networks not abusing countries with low minimum wages that is probably 100,000-150,000 in one month alone.

I just don't like that it is a raffle. That is what makes it feel shady. If they had an application process, screened the channels for some kind of quality/professionalism/character/consistency. It is deliberate snake oil pushing the idea that this is to benefit small channels when it's an advertisement and nothing more. The average Freedom partner has no idea that there are 60000+ channels to compete against. The products range between $60 and $120 retail. But even considering that they may be only paying half of retail on each for the exposure the manufacturer gets, you're looking at between a 1%-5% chance of being a part of the $100,000. Those are not good odds.

IMO they need to stuff this comment nonsense and get a real metric. There is no justification for making it a raffle with a SEO spam entry fee. Let channels improve their chances of being rewarded by not sucking.

Back