Forcing motivation?

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Is there a way to force motivation to finish video scripts? I have so many unfinished scripts because I just don't have the motivation to finish them for whatever reason.

Occasionally I'll have a burst of motivation and finally finish something, but that's quite rare.

I'd appreciate any help given, because my channel is dead at the moment (aside from a few odd sub boosts that seem to come from nowhere, but I digress) and I'd like to be able to start uploading again

darksmokeyt

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Maybe wake up really early in the morning, fix yourself a nice drink, and then maybe you'll find some motivation? I find this an ideal time for me to think and be the most efficient.

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Has your life put you through hurdles recently? It's clear that when we are dealing with other stuff it's harder to get motivated into doing what's basically a hobby. Otherwise, it may just be you aren't enthusiast as much as you used to and it's not a bad idea to take a break and don't think about it until you get motivation back.

But if you really want to force yourself, with the potential backlash of an uninspired video, make a very in depth to-do list of a video and dedicate a hour everyday to one or some of the points of the video itself. Slow and steady wins the race.

Reactions: videoeditgr

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Has your life put you through hurdles recently? It's clear that when we are dealing with other stuff it's harder to get motivated into doing what's basically a hobby. Otherwise, it may just be you aren't enthusiast as much as you used to and it's not a bad idea to take a break and don't think about it until you get motivation back.

But if you really want to force yourself, with the potential backlash of an uninspired video, make a very in depth to-do list of a video and dedicate a hour everyday to one or some of the points of the video itself. Slow and steady wins the race.
Oh, yeah, my life has honestly been a mess lately. I do have a few positives going for me at least. However, making videos used to be fun for me. It still is when I find the motivation to do so, but it's much less often that I manage to find that motivation

Reactions: videoeditgr

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
maybe you are afraid for the next subscribre coming...

Scootakip
...665 subscribers
hahahah!!!!

no reason to force yourself I believe. You cannot declare a channel dead, even at the moment. The good thing is as said above that it is there waiting for you.

(finally,not so) Short story. I daily record my way from work to home and vice versa and family rides eventually. This way I capture some funny or dangerous drivers. Isolating really small fast clips I upload them. The "motivational problem" is that either I do not have time /patience to scroll hours of footage in timeline to find the specific moment either I overstore data (2K). Kind of similar with your half scripts or lack of motivation maybe. So reseting (deleting) stuff and starting over, works for me just fine. I remove them from the drive and never thing of them again. Same on ideas and footage on location or events or whatever. I never thought something was a "killer" idea or shot, so in time I just delete whatever I cannot handle with...

:)

Reactions: darksmokeyt

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Oh, yeah, my life has honestly been a mess lately. I do have a few positives going for me at least. However, making videos used to be fun for me. It still is when I find the motivation to do so, but it's much less often that I manage to find that motivation
I had (and partially still have) something similar going on. University, Exams and other things took their toll on me so I didn't really feel motivated to make videos so I obviously stopped even thinking about them for a bit, then the will to work on them came back naturally, possibly because summer vacations are here, too. Now i got the interest back into a bigger thing I had in hold for a while and I plan to get on it once I'm done with my last exam.

Seansie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
However, making videos used to be fun for me. It still is when I find the motivation to do so, but it's much less often that I manage to find that motivation
Maybe figure out a reminder of why you make the videos. I know some people will read positive comments, watch inspirational videos/videos from their favorite YouTubers, or just read articles on things that remind them of why they do this in the first place.

What I do to help get in a mindset of working on YT stuff is specifically set aside some time (even just an hour). That way I have a deadline and will get as much done in that time as possible.

Looped Fruit

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
First you need to work out why you aren't finishing them. Either you aren't enjoying the process or you keep getting distracted by something else that is more important.

Mister20seven

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
I don't think it's a good thing to force something, if you are stuck at some point. If you need to force yourself, you may stop enjoying what you do. At least in my experience.
Possibly you get some ideas by trying something different.
Or maybe it's just a phase and you're getting back on track soon.

Reactions: darksmokeyt

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Whenever I'm feeling kind of "blaah" about anything that is somewhat boring to do, I set the timer for 20 minutes and go work on it for 20 minutes each day. It's only 20 minutes, so it's not like a giant commitment, and there's really no excuse I can make to NOT work on it for 20 minutes...so.... It sounds kind of simple and lame, but once I get going, it's usually easier to continue on and finish whatever it is! ^_^ And you can get A LOT of stuff done in 20 minutes if it's the only thing you're focusing on!

Reactions: Cassarilla