Feedback on our anniversary cake video

FloFloBear

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey
We recently uploaded our 3rd vlog and this time it's a bit different. We are engaging more with the audience and talking on camera.
It would be awesome to know how you think we did and at the same time get some feedback on:

How well we engaged with the viewer?
Is the production quality good?
How do you find the audio quality, currently using just the built in microphone from the DSLR?
What do you think of the editing?
Any impressions on the intro artwork?

Any other general impressions and feedback are welcomed :)

Thank you!!!

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
First impression: 13 minutes, pretty long for a vlog of someone I don't know yet, to be honest. Intro animation is cute, could be a bit quicker, but overal quite good.

Audio quality: To be honest, it is a bit quiet. You're pretty far away from the camera. The quality is fine, but it's sometimes really hard to hear you without amping up the volume. You might want to invest in some lapel mics.

How well are we engaged with the viewer? You have quite a good balance of talking to the camera and talking to each other. Your girlfriend does very well by offering other options (such as adding more sugar if we like that).

Editting: Editting is okay. You might be overusing the zoom in, plus the quality dips if you zoom in a lot. Don't try to communicate with the audience when there is a lot of noise (mixer). The mixing part was unpleasant, because I had amped up the volume to hear you talk. You should have shown a short part of the mixing and cut the rest out.

So, I'm about 3 minutes in and I'm beginning to skip through things. The pace is just really slow. I remember having the same issue with your snowman building. I gave it a watch, skipped through and then abandoned it, because it wasn't grabbing my attention. I get the feel you are going for with these videos, but personally these aren't videos I would watch (and I watch a lot of vlogs). So my main tip for you would be to make shorter videos with a faster pace. Make them around 8 min, instead of 13. People are more inclined to watch short videos if they don't know the person yet.

FloFloBear

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
First impression: 13 minutes, pretty long for a vlog of someone I don't know yet, to be honest. Intro animation is cute, could be a bit quicker, but overal quite good.

Audio quality: To be honest, it is a bit quiet. You're pretty far away from the camera. The quality is fine, but it's sometimes really hard to hear you without amping up the volume. You might want to invest in some lapel mics.

How well are we engaged with the viewer? You have quite a good balance of talking to the camera and talking to each other. Your girlfriend does very well by offering other options (such as adding more sugar if we like that).

Editting: Editting is okay. You might be overusing the zoom in, plus the quality dips if you zoom in a lot. Don't try to communicate with the audience when there is a lot of noise (mixer). The mixing part was unpleasant, because I had amped up the volume to hear you talk. You should have shown a short part of the mixing and cut the rest out.

So, I'm about 3 minutes in and I'm beginning to skip through things. The pace is just really slow. I remember having the same issue with your snowman building. I gave it a watch, skipped through and then abandoned it, because it wasn't grabbing my attention. I get the feel you are going for with these videos, but personally these aren't videos I would watch (and I watch a lot of vlogs). So my main tip for you would be to make shorter videos with a faster pace. Make them around 8 min, instead of 13. People are more inclined to watch short videos if they don't know the person yet.
Thanks for the comments! It's very helpful! I will start looking into ways to improve the audio, because I agree the quality is not great. I tried to make it sound better during editing, but I'm still getting used to the software and it doesn't help much. I will look into a separate microphone.

Yes, I know it's a bit long :) It somehow ended up 13 minutes long after I did the first cut and we decided to leave it like that because of the silly reason that our anniversary was on the 13th and I thought it was a nice coincidence (for us, did not think much about the viewers there :p). My other vlogs are 3-5 minutes, so I will keep making short ones mainly.

When I edited this vlog and the snowbear one I was going for a silly but still calm kind of video, but it's good to know that maybe this style does not grab your attention. You mentioned you would personally watch videos with a faster pace? Can you please explain in more detail what you mean by this? Or maybe give me an example with a pace you would enjoy? Thanks again!

debbie_yt

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The video concept is good, but the content sort of drags. The audio is a little bit low and I feel like you are a bit far from the camera. My preference would be to have it zoomed in a little more. The editing is not bad.

Seansie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Lighting seems very strong...maybe almost too bright. Editing isn't bad, but I'd recommend looking at some other cooking videos to get ideas on different camera angles for future videos. I agree with the above comments that audio was either really hard to hear or painfully loud. I did like the nice kitchen and layout of environment you had for the video (not a distracting background. Comfortable setting), but maybe try fitting some more angles in. You can even video some stuff afterward if you only have the one camera. That way you can place that video in with the talking as a sort of voice over.