Face Cam

nicola dixon

I've just recently started using facecam....and i think its going well.
But i want to get better with it! Can anyone suggest things I can do to improve facecam whether its quality or just general do's and don't.:help:

Thanks guys:thanksthumbs:
Buh Bye have a beautiful day :grinphones:

I started using facecam as well! I'm really enjoying it. As a stage actor, it makes me feel more comfortable that I can use my physicality and not just my voice! I've learned just to let things happen, don't force anything, but don't stop yourself. Haha.. I have an episode coming up where I'm just staring at the camera all confused like because of something that happened in the game. It was hilarious looking back, but it wasn't planned lol.

Make sure there is a light source and that it is in front of you, not behind you. This may mean changing you set-up position a little bit. That's my tip, hope it helps :D

I may be able to help! I think I've become quite skilled at having a professional looking facecam. Let me give you a little run down, but first a comment.
At the end of the day, it's not how good your equipment is or how high quality the video is, it's all you. Being entertaining and engaging is going to build a larger audience compared to upgrading your equipment.
I'm sure most people already know that, but y'know, just throwing some words of wisdom out there.

Anyways, on to the tips!
  • Center your face - make sure you are in the center of the frame most of the time. No rule of thirds here.
  • Show yourself, not your wall - so once you've centered yourself, you can always crop out what you don't need. When it comes to gaming, I believe most people want to see the person, not their neat posters. (But do keep a nice consistent background too)
  • Let there be light! - Make sure your face is well illuminated. You don't need one of those soft light box kits to have good lighting! Try having a lamp or something directly on your face, and if you need to, put a white bed sheet or pillowcase over it to dampen the light. (Make sure you don't light anything on fire though)
  • Angles! - make sure you have a good angle, many people prefer to have the camera at eye level and off to the side a bit (beside your monitor)
I think that's pretty much it. Other then that just be engaging and entertaining and you'll be good! (Easier said then done though, haha. Still working on that myself)

I may be able to help! I think I've become quite skilled at having a professional looking facecam. Let me give you a little run down, but first a comment.
At the end of the day, it's not how good your equipment is or how high quality the video is, it's all you. Being entertaining and engaging is going to build a larger audience compared to upgrading your equipment.
I'm sure most people already know that, but y'know, just throwing some words of wisdom out there.

Anyways, on to the tips!
  • Center your face - make sure you are in the center of the frame most of the time. No rule of thirds here.
  • Show yourself, not your wall - so once you've centered yourself, you can always crop out what you don't need. When it comes to gaming, I believe most people want to see the person, not their neat posters. (But do keep a nice consistent background too)
  • Let there be light! - Make sure your face is well illuminated. You don't need one of those soft light box kits to have good lighting! Try having a lamp or something directly on your face, and if you need to, put a white bed sheet or pillowcase over it to dampen the light. (Make sure you don't light anything on fire though)
  • Angles! - make sure you have a good angle, many people prefer to have the camera at eye level and off to the side a bit (beside your monitor)
I think that's pretty much it. Other then that just be engaging and entertaining and you'll be good! (Easier said then done though, haha. Still working on that myself)
Ive always wondered how you crop out things from a video?
I mean... it's really easy in stuff like photoshop, but I have no idea how to do it in a video editing software.

Ive always wondered how you crop out things from a video?
I mean... it's really easy in stuff like photoshop, but I have no idea how to do it in a video editing software.
In Adobe Premiere (and After Effects) you can drag the crop "effect" onto a video clip and then refine from there. In Sony Vegas you click the little crop icon on a clip in the timeline and the menu pops up.
As for other software, I can't say. Possibly you could scale your facecam video larger, center it, and render it out (a sort of blunt force crop), then drag it into your editing software. I believe most software has a crop feature though.

In Adobe Premiere (and After Effects) you can drag the crop "effect" onto a video clip and then refine from there. In Sony Vegas you click the little crop icon on a clip in the timeline and the menu pops up.
As for other software, I can't say. Possibly you could scale your facecam video larger, center it, and render it out (a sort of blunt force crop), then drag it into your editing software. I believe most software has a crop feature though.
I tried a bit in Sony Vegas yesterday, and I sorta figured it out.

Thanks!

Back