Does the "Promote" thing work?

talky

Reaction score
Never used it, but I hate working hard in a video that ends up not recommended by the algorithm because of not having luck in the initial window of opportunity that you get to get clicked on, so if the CTR is low, even if your retention is great, it doesn't get recommended by the algorithm.

If I buy the "Promote" thing can I get a second chance to boost the video? What can I expect from 100 USD? how many impressions or however it's measured in?

Also how is the video promoted exactly? You buy certain keywords and the video shows up where?

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I hate working hard in a video that ends up not recommended by the algorithm because of not having luck in the initial window of opportunity
it's probably more complicated than just luck
What can I expect from 100 USD?
$100 ? that's a lot, spend it on your health, in the mean time try to use free promotion assist tools
lets start with the basics, here are a few forum tips:
You can make it easier for every1 here to find your channel by putting a link under name(age) - read my signature on HOW TO below this msg
Also have a look at forum rules https://yttalk.com/threads/yttalk-rules-quick-and-easy-to-read.127266/

ThriftyAV

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Videos that perform poorly at first CAN get attention later. For example, I did a video about cleaning and demagnetizing cassette deck heads back in Nov 2018. For months it sat idle with many days having zero views. A few months ago traffic started picked up on it, and lately it has been averaging 40 views a day. Keep active, keep uploading. If your content is good, it will eventually get discovered.

talky

Reaction score
Videos that perform poorly at first CAN get attention later. For example, I did a video about cleaning and demagnetizing cassette deck heads back in Nov 2018. For months it sat idle with many days having zero views. A few months ago traffic started picked up on it, and lately it has been averaging 40 views a day. Keep active, keep uploading. If your content is good, it will eventually get discovered.
I can't upload videos constantly because I do animation, I need that every video is a success otherwise my channel is not viable. My channel is big, however having subs is near useless, you just need to end up in the recommended section or you get no traffic, most traffic isn't comming from subs. Traffic from search results is negligible in entertainment niches. Tutorials and stuff profit better from that because people actively search for stuff and RPMs are higher. Here people binge watch from one recommende video to another.

It has happened to me too that videos start getting more views all of a sudden but usually if the video doesn't get picked up by the algorithm during the first days its game over, it just stagnates. So that is why I was considering the Promote option, to try to push it back into the algorithm and play the CTR lottery again.

Last edited:

talky

Reaction score
it's probably more complicated than just luck

$100 ? that's a lot, spend it on your health, in the mean time try to use free promotion assist tools
lets start with the basics, here are a few forum tips:
You can make it easier for every1 here to find your channel by putting a link under name(age) - read my signature on HOW TO below this msg
Also have a look at forum rules https://yttalk.com/threads/yttalk-rules-quick-and-easy-to-read.127266/
My content is good, the watchtime is good, in fact one of my best videos has 20% above average retention but the CTR was low at the begining so it became stagnant and didn't get recommended, even if the CTR went higher later on, it didn't get picked up. The thumbnail was good. It's a bit of a crapshot really, you have to get lucky in the window of opportunity where they give you tons of impressions when you upload it for the first hours and have enough people clicking to get past a certain treshold of CTR that supposedly activates the algorithm to share your video in the recommended section.

I also don't like that in the new YT Studio they don't give you a separate chart for subs gained and subs lost, just the net result of subs gained and lost, so I don't know if people are unsubing at an abnormal rate because of this video or not (im not sure if that would cause the algorithm to not pick it up too, but it could be that my channel is too big and the organic amount of subs lost has to be compensated by more traffic, and if the video is not recommended then that traffic isn't there to compensate for subs lost). Just another useful thing that they removed. Im saying this because this video made me lose subs (this video individually, the overall gained subs from other videos is positive). And again, since I don't have the separate charts, im not sure if this is normal or not.

Im not willing to share my channel tbh, I want privacy. It's a rather big channel, even tho im anonymous I don't want attention.

I would like to discuss the Promotion thing in YT. Im willing to test with $100. It's not much if it really works in getting the video in the recommended section again, assuming it lasts. Has anyone tried this?

Last edited: