Does anyone else not get too excited about milestones?

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I actually just hit 1,000 subscribers a day or so ago, yet...my feelings about it have been very strange.

As I passed other subscriber numbers (100, 500, etc.,) I didn't really think much about these. As I entered the 900s, I thought I felt excited about the idea of reaching 1000 soon...and yet, now that I've hit 1000, I guess now instead of appreciating what has happened, my mind is more like, "OK, now to the next milestone..."

Is that totally weird, or does anyone else feel similarly about these sorts of things?

Anjim

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I actually just hit 1,000 subscribers a day or so ago, yet...my feelings about it have been very strange.

As I passed other subscriber numbers (100, 500, etc.,) I didn't really think much about these. As I entered the 900s, I thought I felt excited about the idea of reaching 1000 soon...and yet, now that I've hit 1000, I guess now instead of appreciating what has happened, my mind is more like, "OK, now to the next milestone..."

Is that totally weird, or does anyone else feel similarly about these sorts of things?
How to do you do? you might inspire me to get those numbers

Reactions: subversiveasset

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
How to do you do? you might inspire me to get those numbers
Maybe my answer will explain why I feel what I feel.

To me, 1000 was about becoming more focused, more dedicated. It was hard work. So, even though my channel has existed for some time, I didn't produce any videos in my current genre until 2 years ago. But when I started, I was not consistent at all, I didn't know about SEO, I didn't even actually make a video (I just had static images with music).

Around 1 year ago, I started adding video to my music, and also tried to be more consistent with releases. (However, to this day, I have not committed purposivefully to a deadline. It's just been around 1 video every week or so, with a few exceptions.)

Over time, I experimented with storytelling through text and images, rather than just videos of me playing.

At several times, I had to weigh wanting to play songs that I liked (but which aren't well known) against playing songs that are well-known but that I am not as personally attached to. I've mostly stuck with the first option, and so I always wonder how much faster my channel could have grown if I had chosen the second?

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

Video Game Knight

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I can kind of see that. I am only in the 100 numbers but was very, very happy when I got it. Now everyone is saying 'Oh you are close to 200! You getting excited?' and honestly? No not really. I do like seeing them as a progression of my channel's quality and stuff and if I got enough to warrant one of those awesome play buttons I would be rather ecstatic but the smaller stuff? Not overly excited per-say but... I guess satisfied is the right word

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i am not that bothered by milestones. i think they are like mini goals. and hitting a goal however small can at least make you feel like your getting somewhere. i love analytics and strategy and statistics. its one of my favourite things about youtube. but i have been dealing in numbers for so long (used to be an accountant. now i play poker and advise businesses on strategy) that i just see them as nice little stepping stones on a path to a much bigger picture

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
To me, a milestone is like when you eat the last bit of cereal in the box and someone complains that you ate it all. You just ate a normal amount, but because you finished it off, it is seen as more significant. 1,000 is just the next natural step after 999, and 999 is a lot more than 1. Celebrating getting to 1,000 almost seems like making that 1 out to be more important than the previous 999. But looking forward to the next milestone just makes sense because YouTube channels are never finished. They are always in progress. A certain number would mean more if you were going to do something different once you reached it.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I really like milestones, but mostly because I'm a really obsessive counter. I have a thing where I have to do things on the proper day, and if I say I'll do something every day (or 3 days per week), I feel intense obligation to do so. So milestones to me are almost like physical things. Once I'm past one, I can let it pass me by and not think about when I'm going to hit it, if that makes sense?

I know having a certain number of subscribers, under a particular threshold, doesn't really matter too much in terms of money or "fame," but it does feel like I'm passing an actual milestone when I get past them.

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
To me, a milestone is like when you eat the last bit of cereal in the box and someone complains that you ate it all. You just ate a normal amount, but because you finished it off, it is seen as more significant. 1,000 is just the next natural step after 999, and 999 is a lot more than 1. Celebrating getting to 1,000 almost seems like making that 1 out to be more important than the previous 999. But looking forward to the next milestone just makes sense because YouTube channels are never finished. They are always in progress. A certain number would mean more if you were going to do something different once you reached it.
I really like this analogy. It does feel very gradual to me, so milestone numbers don't necessarily feel like I've done anything differently than normal. I make my improvements gradually too, so I don't really wait on a milestone to make changes.

ApexTV

ApexTV Makes Top 10 Videos!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

This mindset may actually be beneficial. We noticed similar feelings towards getting 10,000 subscribers and are now excited for 100,000!