Do you write a script for your videos?

Nerdy Notions

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Hi guys,

So I've only made two videos for my channel so far, both reviews (one film, one game), but I noticed an increase in quality when I wrote a script... The first was completely unscripted, off the cuff, and it showed in the final result. Even though I edited it down, I still paused a lot and you could almost see the cogs working in my head :bounce:. For the second video, I spent about 30 minutes writing out a fairly detailed script for the video including notes for jokes I could put into the video and I thought this one was WAAAAY better. Like, immediately. Just because of that. Check them out if you don't believe me.

So what do you guys do in your videos? Do your videos suit a script a not? If you don't, maybe you should try it! I personally found it way easier to be funny and creative, and the I'm definitely going to keep it up.

Thanks,
Nerdy Notions :thumbsup2:

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I write a script for my videos, and I've been doing that since my first "review" video.
Seriously, not writing scripts for certain types of videos could result in catastrophe lol

XXLRay

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I make voiceovers for my videos and not writing a script would not work for me.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I do both. For Public Domain/Older Movie Reviews I write a script and get really detailed in the review. Because most people have never seen or heard of these movies and it's good to go in depth as to why it should or shouldn't be worth taking a look at.
But for newer films I like to stay unscripted because my most honest opinion comes out that way and I still keep it short and to the point. Is it worth watching or not and why? Being unscripted for these gives me the flexibility to keep it simple and also easier to stay on "Fair Use." Once I start writing scripts I end up using way too much footage/pictures, etc. With these Unscripted videos my fans are just expecting to be sitting on the couch with me as I review a film. As long as you learn something and can chime in to discussion in the comments section or even by making your own video then I have achieved my goal. =]

Now for more complex projects such as Short films or Movies in the work everything has to have a script. But I also give flexibility to actors/friends to go off their script if they feel something in the moment and fits the scene better. Like I can also write a script for Fight Choreography that I'd like to do but may only get to 1 or 2 things since something better came to mind or we found out that the flow of said fight wouldn't work in the way I previously envisioned. But that's just me and my previous experience with it.

Do you need a script? Yes and No depending on the video/project in my opinion.

ZavNation

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I could see it both ways for writing a script.
On one hand yes writing a script can be extremely useful for voice overs, commentary, and even reviewing products. A podcast would also go into that category.
Making ideas and things up on the spot for those types of videos can indeed result in a bad time lol.

On the other hand, for gaming in general like funny moments or reactions I would not see a huge help in having a script here. Those moments are from the natural moments you have and enjoy when playing
the game.

But hey all in all if writing a script works for you, I would say go for it!

ToyBrats

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
We try to have a loose outline but then adlib our way through it... Really we are about having lots of fun on camera since it's a kids channel. Sometimes we do get hung up though this way since we have characters and are not always playing ourselves. Working with little kids it is definitely tough to script them!

pcastro51

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Similar to what someone else said, I HAVE to write a script. My script is literally the foundation of my videos haha.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
For the types of videos we make, we can't do scripts - it's all reality/action, as it happens.. can't script real life!

TimberwolfMKIII

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So when I do a game review or a first impression I like to write my thoughts down so I have some clear speaking points to touch on. It helps to guide me and keep me in check. Other types of videos I do, I cannot really script because it is in the moment type stuff. I definitely say if you are reviewing or giving an impression, definitely writing down speaking points will make a difference.

DanAwesomeStuff

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I do a mix of daily vlogs and sit down, so for the daily vlogs I definitely do not script.

The sit down videos I tend to plan a structure, bulleting the key points I want to make sure are covered then tend to use that as a guide and then chat around it.