do you think there is a stigma with smaller channels

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
being a smaller youtuber myself 440 subs to date, and take up to a month to edit each of my videos always strive for the best quality possible, always wondered if a lot of the smaller youtubers only make high quality content feel there channels are stigmatized because they are a small channel and people just pass by because they don't have 100,000 subs, was just a question, and wanted to put it out there. Personally I think my channels just lost in the tens of millions of channels out there good ones and a lot of bad spamming ones youtube Growth will take 10 years to grow your channels

for me i enjoy my hobby , and making short movie style stories even if only one person watched them , well i know at least i can fill a cinema and I'm over the moon with every one of viewers top banana's :) TheSnakeDelta
100%. It does not matter how much work or how good your videos are, if you don't have the subscriber base no one is going to care. But there is a flip-side. If your quality stays the same those that you do convert into subscribers are more likely to stay subscribed. Also, if you catch a lucky break and your video gets shared or you get a shout-out by a well known YouTuber people will see the video is not a one trick pony and subscribe. Keeping the quality up and consistent, and try to improve when you can, is the key to future success.

I am glad you enjoy it as a hobby. I do the same. I have been doing it for 3 years now, and have just broken trough 3000 subscribers a month ago. Hardly the success story there when you look at the numbers. But the satisfaction? Better than ever, and it keeps getting better too. I am still slowly growing. Sure, I would love 100k subscribers like everyone, but it is not the requirement to practice what I surely think is one of the best hobbies in the world. 100k subscribers would just make it better than it is now.

IsntChrisL

Easily Distracted
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Youtube favors big channels for sure. The featured content on the front page is almost all from large channels. There's a few reasons for this:

1. Large channels produce content consistently.
2. Large channels have a lot of guaranteed viewers...
3. ...which means they earn more money for Youtube and the creator.

I wish smaller channels were given more spotlight time though.

Snake delta

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
When I see a channel I know I'm more likely to subscribe to it if it has more subscribers. My thinking is that I can be sure that the person will continue to post content because they have a lot of subscribers. What I've found in the past is that smaller channels tend to stop posting more often than larger channels. I know it's really ironic considering my channel is pretty small but I suppose that's just how I think.
Hi Inspirare, so i thought this might be the case , which is a shame really , you might be missing out on some brilliant content, at the end of the day you can always unsub to a channel if the content stopped , give them a chance and you might be surprised , all the best with your channel :)

some books need to be opened

Snake delta

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think it's fairly evident that small channels are at a disadvantage in regards to the psychology of the masses. But it's the same stigma everyone starts with even the now successful channels. Don't forget now you're in a market that is hugely saturated (youtube channels in general). I think the things that you can control you have to work hard at and make smart decisions? And ultimately be persistent. One of our videos went viral the other day facebook, and this was literally due to my persistence in talking to large facebook pages
Hi RiffRaff totally agree with you, yer i think it takes many more years for great smaller channels to get a chance to get seen, would be nice if youtube could feature a channel a week or one a day or even one a month on home page , but i know all there out for is as many views as possible, as you say just keep working hard keep plunging away and good news on your video :)[DOUBLEPOST=1468413842,1468413286][/DOUBLEPOST]
people are sheep, sheep follow sheep.
Hi loki , yep seems to be the case , you missing out on some great new content producers , don't be a sheep be a Shepard :)

Snake delta

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Im sure some people do pick channels by subscriber count.
Although I must say I would find that really odd.

I tend to just search for the topic I want then watch a bunch of videos until I find one that hooks me. If it REALLY appeals to me then I may subscribe.
hi Kirgle , as from this posts we do have a few that will take the subs count as a rule to pick channels to watch , its a shame , i think some people use there sub button as a golden chalice to enlightenment :) as you say the topic is important that you can find the best content category for the topic your picking and not just a video of a cat sitting on a hoover with 10 million views when you look up cat documentary, but that's to do with the youtube system, hopefully one day smaller channels could be featured on the home page , but its all about the advertisement

Snake delta

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
100%. It does not matter how much work or how good your videos are, if you don't have the subscriber base no one is going to care. But there is a flip-side. If your quality stays the same those that you do convert into subscribers are more likely to stay subscribed. Also, if you catch a lucky break and your video gets shared or you get a shout-out by a well known YouTuber people will see the video is not a one trick pony and subscribe. Keeping the quality up and consistent, and try to improve when you can, is the key to future success.

I am glad you enjoy it as a hobby. I do the same. I have been doing it for 3 years now, and have just broken trough 3000 subscribers a month ago. Hardly the success story there when you look at the numbers. But the satisfaction? Better than ever, and it keeps getting better too. I am still slowly growing. Sure, I would love 100k subscribers like everyone, but it is not the requirement to practice what I surely think is one of the best hobbies in the world. 100k subscribers would just make it better than it is now.
Hi Dutch you hit the nail right on the head with your comment ,i think people generally don't care about small channels they just judging channels be the numbers and not the content , i think bigger youtube channels just don't look downwards unfortunately also a lot of bigger channels are abusing the life they have been given by there viewers especially in the games sector you get people like that in all walks of life i suppose, wish there where more decent people at the top of the youtube channels changing peoples lives with there content and not out for themselves or ripping gamers off . Yep keep plugging away with brilliant content and hopefully we can get these get small great channels out there to the public ,congratulations on breaking 3000, :) i wish i had that,that's ten cinema's of viewers watching your content , i'd call that a success , as it is what seems to be the norm to judge a channel be it's sub count , but I'll say keep making quality produced well thought out content, all the best to ya Dutch and thanks for the cool comment top man[DOUBLEPOST=1468416104,1468415558][/DOUBLEPOST]
People are sheep, when a video goes viral people love it because everyone else loves it. Hence usually when someone is in need of help, one person will only help when the other does, or someone joins a fight, everyone else will. It's kind of dumb but just keep making videos. That's all you can do!
Hi iMSaiyan how are ya ? yer seem to be the pattern ,you tube isn't TV where the content is forced on us by the producers the freedom of choice isn't there, but i can see youtube is only out for views and doesn't care about its makers . Really wished Youtube was breaking new ground by putting quality videos and not just a bloke trying to surf down his stairs on a surfboard on his face , a viral video of kids fighting should't be even on the list let alone be on the YT homepage , thanks for the post and good luck to ya Saiyan

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Hi Dutch you hit the nail right on the head with your comment ,i think people generally don't care about small channels they just judging channels be the numbers and not the content , i think bigger youtube channels just don't look downwards unfortunately also a lot of bigger channels are abusing the life they have been given by there viewers especially in the games sector you get people like that in all walks of life i suppose, wish there where more decent people at the top of the youtube channels changing peoples lives with there content and not out for themselves or ripping gamers off . Yep keep plugging away with brilliant content and hopefully we can get these get small great channels out there to the public ,congratulations on breaking 3000, :) i wish i had that,that's ten cinema's of viewers watching your content , i'd call that a success , as it is what seems to be the norm to judge a channel be it's sub count , but I'll say keep making quality produced well thought out content, all the best to ya Dutch and thanks for the cool comment top man[DOUBLEPOST=1468416104,1468415558][/DOUBLEPOST]

Hi iMSaiyan how are ya ? yer seem to be the pattern ,you tube isn't TV where the content is forced on us by the producers the freedom of choice isn't there, but i can see youtube is only out for views and doesn't care about its makers . Really wished Youtube was breaking new ground by putting quality videos and not just a bloke trying to surf down his stairs on a surfboard on his face , a viral video of kids fighting should't be even on the list let alone be on the YT homepage , thanks for the post and good luck to ya Saiyan
I know right :( That's why it's up to us to put some funny cool content out there!

Snake delta

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Youtube favors big channels for sure. The featured content on the front page is almost all from large channels. There's a few reasons for this:

1. Large channels produce content consistently.
2. Large channels have a lot of guaranteed viewers...
3. ...which means they earn more money for Youtube and the creator.

I wish smaller channels were given more spotlight time though.
Hi IsntChrisL this is my favorite comment you summed it up , would be cool if YouTube put a feature on its HomePage for emerging talent , but money rules right ! YouTube seem to be all about the Cash .
for me personally i have skip able ads on so i can pay for the Music i use in my videos so the producers can have that out of respect for their work,as for the content I'll keep trying to fill the cinema's one at a time , we lucky we have youtube as a creative outlet , I just wished we had some radicals leading from inside YouTube trying to change the world with its amazing platform and make a difference as the money rolls in anyways , #YouTubeGiveTheSamllerChannelsAChance

Reactions: IsntChrisL

newage

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
We're in the same boat. My subs have slowed, and I'm around 440-450 subs. But the thing is I think I know why by looking at my analytics. The videos they are subscribing to I haven't made in a long time, so I think it's time I returned to that style of video.

I release videos once a week, not really because of long editing. Trying to come up with new video ideas, trying to improve something in my videos every time.

But keep going, your videos are getting plenty of views!

Snake delta

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think the YouTube algorithms have more to do with people not being led to smaller channels than any inherent bias to smaller channels. I think the average YouTube viewer isn't all that aware of channel size, in my opinion. We're a unique sort, being creators, because we pay a lot of attention to things like subscribers or views or whatnot, but I think most people who are looking for videos will just stop on the things that search and suggested videos lead them to, so channel size affects that more than snobbiness.
Hi xingcat exactly what is happening , money rules so sub count on the video ( bloody prank and drama videos ) even if it has no purpose to the public will be at the top of a list even if your not looking for a said video ( recommended videos ) YouTube will still make its Money , you so right xingcat its a shame its the way it is , I'm glad for my viewers and lucky what i got :) , will keep making the content chatting to the people that stop by , as long as they enjoy the content , Good luck with your videos xingcat your a top man a very cool comment :)[DOUBLEPOST=1468418608,1468417750][/DOUBLEPOST]
I know how ya feel . I always try to make a video that is comparable to tv level quality, but the only way to get bigger is to keep making it, right?
Hello Gaijiilionaire that's a lot of i's :)) , yer i agree with ya, but quality not quantity , look at sequels ! in 99% of movies there pants , money rules so we end up with police academy 2738378494 there all crap but you see my point :) ok ( Godfather an exception to the rule ) , yep keep at it Gaiji , i enjoy my hobby , but wanted to get some peoples opinion on the subject , I'm glad some people do care giving the smaller channels a go, good luck with the vids