Do you save all your footage?

Rhody Seth

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician
Nah. Space is an issue and while storage is cheap I always ask myself what I'm going to do with all that raw footage? Answer: likely nothing. I'd prefer not to just save footage for the sake of saving it.

Steves World

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have about 20 TB of my raw videos backed up on external drives.
So, Yes, I save all of my old data, and it has come in handy also in the past.

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
. . .
I have about 12 TB of internal space on my computer for archival purposes. Probably expanding it in the next few years.
I use clips from previous videos when I refer to them in future videos. I want to be able to remove music or graphics that I may have put on it. personally I'm really sad I didn't start saving everything until 2014/2015, but I still have raw copies of a few videos before that. Storage is cheap. I remember when I first got into video, my whole hard drive was like 45 GB and an 8GB card cost like $20 - $40 USD. now a 256 GB card cost $20-30 USD and a 8TB hard drive can often be found for under 100 bucks.
I still have some of my 128 MB, 256 MB and 512 MB SD cards. That's right, SD cards less than a half a GB in size. What a time to be a live

I did think about just rendering my videos without effects or music and uploading them as unlisted for archival purposes in the past. (I actually have a few videos on youtube for that reason)

why? -idk I think some day if I hit it big, they'll want to use them for my documentary lol or maybe I'll hire an editor to make a youtube career long blooper reel. Or a sentimental super cut for when I cross 100k in the year 2099.

JayZippo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I couldn't even imagine if I kept all my footage and videos. I am at 1,200 videos, and just the FINAL rendered videos total @3TB. I keep those. I have to purge my raw footage, roughly 700GB of video, once every other month. Been doing that for 6 years at least. That would be at 26TB minimum if I didn't. Wow. that is alot of space.

crazy-logic

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah i'm running about 20TB of storage after parity for various projects inc my YouTube. About to add another 10 disks very shortly. Although storage is cheap, running and maintaining it isn't.

Reactions: JayZippo