Do you save all your footage?

Willy Malcio

As a daily vlogger I've noticed that my hard drives fill up quick. I was wondering what other creators do?

Do you think it's better practice to delete the footage and store the final edits to save space (and money) on your hard drives?
or is it better to have an an archive of all your content? (In case you want old clips without background music for montages, summary videos, etc)

It will be interesting to know :)

I just got myself an external hard drive and man is it useful. I like to keep my videos and thumbnails in case something happens. For instance Youtube has been hating me for a few weeks, deleting my thumbnails for no reason and since I'm supremely lazy I haven't been remaking them. Wish I'd saved those lol

I save everything. You can get a 4 TB Seagate external drive for around $120, that should last a pretty long time.

I have multiple hard drives. Depending on your type of content, sometimes it is very handy to still have your raw files.

If another video-hosting website appears, you can re-package your video library for the new site.

I am currently working on new video projects and I am filming and editing them to be quickly available for non-YouTube websites.

I usually keep for some days aftrr the upload, in case something got screwed up without me noticing it and I can fix it quite easily

I run a 2TB 7200 RPM Seagate raid 0 setup for dumping footage. It is more than enough space as once I've rendered the final composition, there is little need to keep the original footage. This gives me enough room to do hours of content and have it all ready to go for editing.

Surely not all takes are used in a vlog. I don't do vlogs but videos with special effects. What I do is archive all non-used footages to the best compression and leave the footages I used in the same folder as the program workfiles. Then I will backup the entire folder on an external hard disk and completed forget about it. Mind you external hard disks tend to die overtime or unexpectedly. I will have 2 backups and I will purchase new hard disk every three years.

Back