Do you keep old video files after uploading?

Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Hey guys,

I'm running a little low on memory space in my computer, and I want to buy an external hard drive but until then I need to delete some files. I have a few old video files still saved on my computer and I'm wondering is this even necessary? Once you upload your video to YouTube how likely is it that you'll need the file again? How long do you keep your files after uploading?

I might be the odd man out on this topic. But here goes....I back up every video I make onto external hard drives (excluding video game walkthroughs that I use to make or might do again in the future). There was a time long ago where one of my old Youtube channels got hacked and I lost everything. And because I didn't back anything up I couldn't show my friends or family some of the videos I put hours into making. Even if they weren't that good. I was devastated.

So now I back up just about everything onto 1TB to 1.5TB external hard drives so my computer doesn't get filled up too frequently. Cause you never know and can never be too safe out there. But that's just my opinion anyways. =]

I'll typically keep my video one two two weeks after uploading and then clear them out due to space issues on my laptop. Also, keeping videos in iMovie takes up a good chunk of memory space too so I'll typically go through all of that after two to three weeks just to make more room for more videos.

I keep the videos in my SD card, until I see that the memory is almost full, then I delete the videos!
I don´t like to keep them for too long either though, because of my paranoia that someone might get the card, watch, and laugh! but then again, they could watch them on youtube!

I lost all my files like 12 years ago when I had an old camcorder. It was a lot of work to get these files on your computer, then the hard drive crashed and everything was gone :(
Since that moment I saved everything on external devices, sometimes even on two spereate external hard drives :D to make absolutely sure I'm not losing anything again. Maybe you have an idea one day and could use some old clips again, so I keep them all.

I have all my videos, audio clips, graphics and raw footage on an eternal hard drive. All backed up just in case. Plus I just like to have my won library of the videos I make, kind of an OCD thing I guess.

Ofcourse! why not? You could do a montage of past videos at the end of the year

Back