Do you DIY?

AM2PM

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I love looking around at all the professional gear that people have, but I don't have the budget to buy anything. My wife says I can buy stuff when I make it big, so basically never. I do love trying to make stuff myself, so I've gone the DIY route for some of our stuff. We just got a new green screen muslin, but before that I bought some cheap green material from the material store and pinned it up to the wall. Our "studio" is in my basement. To light the green screen I have 2 double tube shop light fluorescent tubes attached vertically to some wood and hanging from the ceiling. I made some simple cardboard reflectors to keep the light from spilling out. Andrew bought a couple of big CFLs that give off a lot of bright daylight. I built a little 3 socket light fixture as cheaply as I could. I found an old monitor swivel arm at work and tore that down and have a nice movable mount for the light that is attached to the ceiling. I made a cardboard softbox with duct tape and aluminum foil and used a shower curtain for the diffusion. It works quite well and cost very little money. The real cost was the bulbs. I just made another 4 socket light from some old fixtures we took down and added some smaller CFLs that I'll be using as a fill light or maybe as extra light for the larger green screen.

The last thing I built was a teleprompter. I paid 10 bucks for the app so I could easily mirror the text. I just used a cardboard box and duct tape and a glass picture frame. We haven't used it yet, but it seems like it will work well.

It is fun to make stuff on your own especially if it helps the video quality. If you have a few tools you can make a lot of great stuff to help your production. YouTube is FULL of how to DIY videos for all the stuff you could ever imagine.

I want to make an LED panel as well. Too bad you can't DIY an awesome camera or lenses.

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
With the help of my father and uncle I DIY'd a shockproof stand for my microphone:
A frame of wood with bycicle inner tubes stapled to them and some foam under the "feet" to avoid play when it was on the table

Reactions: AM2PM

Ciarra deBritto

Bringing your imagination to life.
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure people have done DIY camera stabilizers and gliders, as well as some DIY tripods. I've never tried but I think it would be cool to look into. :)

AM2PM

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I'm pretty sure people have done DIY camera stabilizers and gliders, as well as some DIY tripods. I've never tried but I think it would be cool to look into. :)
Oh yes indeed. I'm going to make a stabilizer for my iPhone since that is the best camera that I have. It's amazing how much better video will look when you move it smoothly.[DOUBLEPOST=1473950766,1473950658][/DOUBLEPOST]
With the help of my father and uncle I DIY'd a shockproof stand for my microphone:
A frame of wood with bycicle inner tubes stapled to them and some foam under the "feet" to avoid play when it was on the table
Cool. I've never seen something like that. What is it's purpose?

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I don´t do technical things myself, because I have the thumb in the middle of my hand, and am not that interested of doing it!

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Cool. I've never seen something like that. What is it's purpose?
Since I have a desk microphone, the vibrations of the stuff on top of the desk creates noise that interferes with the recording quality. The elastic inner tubes reduce or outright remove the vibrations allowing for cleaner recording. Since the wooden structure wasn't perfect and moved on the desk causing noise when touched, adding the foam allowed to shift the weight in an even manner

AM2PM

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Since I have a desk microphone, the vibrations of the stuff on top of the desk creates noise that interferes with the recording quality. The elastic inner tubes reduce or outright remove the vibrations allowing for cleaner recording. Since the wooden structure wasn't perfect and moved on the desk causing noise when touched, adding the foam allowed to shift the weight in an even manner
Brilliant! I figured that is what it was for.[DOUBLEPOST=1473951202,1473951125][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don´t do technical things myself, because I have the thumb in the middle of my hand, and am not that interested of doing it!
That is nuts. Do you actually have a thumb in the middle of your hand? I usually end up doing everything multiple times because I end up screwing it up the first few attempts. Satisfying when done though.

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Brilliant! I figured that is what it was for.[DOUBLEPOST=1473951202,1473951125][/DOUBLEPOST]
That is nuts. Do you actually have a thumb in the middle of your hand? I usually end up doing everything multiple times because I end up screwing it up the first few attempts. Satisfying when done though.
that just means that i´m so untechnical as could be, I don´t know how to fix technical things!