Did I get a copyright strike or not?

Kousuke-shii

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
So, I just uploaded a new video and 20 mins later it still isn't showing. I checked my email and saw that I got a copyright claim on my latest video. I disputed the claim and it says that the video will go back up and the copyright claimer will have 30 days to respond. If they don't respond, then I'm basically all good.

I'm just thinking... Is this same as a copyright strike? Or does it become a copyright strike if I fail to dispute it?
What's the difference between a copyright strike and a copyright claim?

I'm honestly a little scared right now because I don't want any bad records on my channel. Need you advice guys!

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I've moved your thread to the copyright forum. :)

CousinEd

There's always a choice
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Read the very first sticky post.

WeegieMovies

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian, Reviewer
99% of the time your video will still be available freely, however the claimant will place ads on your video and they will claim the ad revenue. It's a b******t system, it's very much a "guilty until proven innocent" thing instead of the other way about, and I honestly can't think of any copyright situation I've been in where it's an actual human reviewing the content. But that's a whole other thread.

Kousuke-shii

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Read the very first sticky post.
I just saw it.. Thank you![DOUBLEPOST=1468772757,1468772710][/DOUBLEPOST]
99% of the time your video will still be available freely, however the claimant will place ads on your video and they will claim the ad revenue. It's a b******t system, it's very much a "guilty until proven innocent" thing instead of the other way about, and I honestly can't think of any copyright situation I've been in where it's an actual human reviewing the content. But that's a whole other thread.
I disputed the claim for now and it's still up. Hopefully the company won't respond in 30 days.

TheHealthyCow

Got Milk?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
A copyright claim is different from a copyright strike. If you get a copyright strike, that means your video has been taken down from YouTube because a copyright owner sent a complete and valid legal request asking to do so. When a copyright owner formally notifies that you don’t have their permission to post their content on the site, they take down your upload to comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
Copyright strikes will leave you in bad standings, and if you get three your basically terminated of what I know of. One will leave you under bad standings and you will be restricted from streaming, and idk about anything else.
It's really dependent on the copyright material and from whom you're using it from. I've technically gotten over 20 copyright claims, which are when companies are willing to allow the usage of their material usually at the cost of your videos revenue, adding ads, or etc.

But I've never had a scenario of a wait response or having a video taken down temporarily. You're video might inevitably be removed. You're video was taken down originally because the content owner of the copyright material has it implemented that way so videos are taken down. Under the presumption you actually did use copyright material, disputing it is basically you trying to claim it as original material, which might in fact lead to a copyright strike because you're choosing to leave it up. idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Be careful.

Last edited:

Kousuke-shii

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
A copyright claim is different from a copyright strike. If you get a copyright strike, that means your video has been taken down from YouTube because a copyright owner sent a complete and valid legal request asking to do so. When a copyright owner formally notifies that you don’t have their permission to post their content on the site, they take down your upload to comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
Copyright strikes will leave you in bad standings, and if you get three your basically terminated of what I know of. One will leave you under bad standings and you will be restricted from streaming, and idk about anything else.
It's really dependent on the copyright material and from whom you're using it from. I've technically gotten over 20 copyright claims, which are when companies are willing to allow the usage of their material usually at the cost of your videos revenue, adding ads, or etc.

But I've never had a scenario of a wait response or having a video taken down temporarily. You're video might inevitably be removed. You're video was taken down originally because the content owner of the copyright material has it implemented that way so videos are taken down. Under the presumption you actually did use copyright material, disputing it is basically you trying to claim it as original material, which might in fact lead to a copyright strike because you're choosing to leave it up. idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Be careful.
Thank you! How did you deal with your 20 copyright claims if you don't mind me asking?