Death threats more serious now since recent shootings

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
I've been curious what you all feel
About this.

After grimmie was killed and all the other shootings etc going on today do you take death threats on YouTube comments more seriously?

What makes you decide to take action vs ignoring the threat?

It kind of terrifies me that I get death threats sometimes. I know lots of YouTubers myself and I go to their shows and they know me so I'm sort of known for who I hang out with.

To be honest, no. I haven't gotten a death threat yet, and still except the vast majority of people who hand out death threats online to be the kind who only talk tough when they sit behind their screen.

I also live in the UK, which is generally a very peaceful country.

Well don't allow yourself to be intimidated. Anyone who puts themselves out there is going to get hate. Don't let them ruin what you're trying to do.

Block that person and report their comments. There may be further action you can take, maybe someone will add below, but I'm unaware.

You think Grimmie was the biggest reason to have changed how people view INTERNET threats?...Have you lived on this planet? There are countless deaths and suicides by internet bullying alone for the last what 5-8 years? let alone "threats" there is no change. The only change is MAYBE upping security at venues. Life is still the same.

The world is safer now than it's ever been, especially in a first-world country. The chances of something bad happening to you are so low it's barely worth considering.

If you really think internet threats are credible, you're stressing yourself out for a very stupid reason. Someone who *actually* wants to kill you will NOT broadcast it beforehand. You can discount any public threat immediately for that reason. You're getting trolled. Don't feed the trolls, or you'll get even more death threats.

You think Grimmie was the biggest reason to have changed how people view INTERNET threats?...Have you lived on this planet? There are countless deaths and suicides by internet bullying alone for the last what 5-8 years? let alone "threats" there is no change. The only change is MAYBE upping security at venues. Life is still the same.

I never said grimmie changed anything. What about death threats that are like "I know where you live. I'm going to kill you" I got a few of those from people that actually know where I live. My house isn't a venue and I have no security[DOUBLEPOST=1470649664,1470649561][/DOUBLEPOST]
The world is safer now than it's ever been, especially in a first-world country. The chances of something bad happening to you are so low it's barely worth considering.

If you really think internet threats are credible, you're stressing yourself out for a very stupid reason. Someone who *actually* wants to kill you will NOT broadcast it beforehand. You can discount any public threat immediately for that reason. You're getting trolled. Don't feed the trolls, or you'll get even more death threats.

Then how come when students make
Bomb threats in schools the police are called? You are saying that people that tell others they will kill you won't do it?! Thats makes no sense

You are saying that people that tell others they will kill you won't do it?! Thats makes no sense

Why? It makes perfect sense. Why would someone incriminate themselves before committing a crime? No one tweets to a bank; "Hey, I'm going to rob you today" because that's really stupid. Same with death threats. Why would you announce your motive if you were actually going to do that? If you did, you'd be too stupid to actually do something like that.

When someone announces something like that, they want you to be scared. They're not actually planning on following through. If you freak out about it, they get exactly what they want; a reaction.

I never said grimmie changed anything. What about death threats that are like "I know where you live. I'm going to kill you" I got a few of those from people that actually know where I live. My house isn't a venue and I have no security[DOUBLEPOST=1470649664,1470649561][/DOUBLEPOST]

Then how come when students make
Bomb threats in schools the police are called? You are saying that people that tell others they will kill you won't do it?! Thats makes no sense

"After grimmie was killed and all the other shootings etc going on today do you take death threats on YouTube comments more seriously?" this implies that Grimmie possibly did change something..otherwise you wouldn't have brought her into this in the first place......o_o? Besides that...I don't think Grimmie's killer even made death threats to her at all which confuses the subject even more.

Bomb threats are a concern because it counts as an act of terrorism on top of killing/hurting multiple people. How does that equate with a death threat some random guy online said to you, who you, are another random guy online. You do see the difference here right.

To answer the threads question, anyone who threatens me online obviously is a concern IF they show some type of movement towards my house, pictures of my house etc like that then yes that's when I'd get scared. But some weird guy who says s**t like that online is usually just another internet warrior. Also why would you even get death threats, what have you done?

I got a few of those from people that actually know where I live. My house isn't a venue and I have no security
I would suggest contacting your police department and get some advice. Maybe a restraining order is what is needed. If the people actually know where you live, does that mean they know you in real life? If they don't know you in real life, how did they find out? Are there ways to protect your privacy?

Death threats are usually always meaningless...now if it was given to you by a fundamentalist who said they will kill you for their god...well...be just a little paranoid

Back