Creating a thumbnail

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi Guys

I just about use Windows Movie Maker and not up with any other editing tool.

I am looking for advice on how to create a thumbnail please.

I restore toy cars and want to show a before and after within the thumbnail. (Diagonally overlapped)
I currently use a picture of the before only and viewers wait until the final reveal to see the result.

Im wondering if I show the result in the thumbnail I will draw more views?

Thanks for any advice

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the recording / editing / production / software / hardware forum. :)

Check out gimp (free software) - There are loads of tutorials on YouTube itself. :)

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
i'd give more thought to that. they may get all they want from the thumbnail and not watch the video.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i'd give more thought to that. they may get all they want from the thumbnail and not watch the video.
You are right. I put a poll up on my channels community tab and they voted to keep with the 'before' picture

Arthurise

Reaction score
If your looking for a programme to use with relative ease and don't want to pay for photoshop i'd recommend using Paint.net
It's a step up from the regular paint and has a number of features and effects that can help you make decent thumbnails for free. Better than that it's really quite easy to use!

Reactions: EVO

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If your looking for a programme to use with relative ease and don't want to pay for photoshop i'd recommend using Paint.net
It's a step up from the regular paint and has a number of features and effects that can help you make decent thumbnails for free. Better than that it's really quite easy to use!
Thanks mate

Tengri

Reaction score
Website
Tumbnail.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Designer
There is no such a software in the link
you provided. Are you sure this is the right source you are reffering?

the_drifting_dad

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have used powerpoint to make thumbnails as well. You can save a slide as a JPG. Also tube buddy has a decent built in thumbnail tool, you just have to use the creator studio classic to make the plug in work.

Jeff

Hey There!
Reaction score
The closest thing to Photoshop CC/CS6 that I've used is Photopea (photopea.com). I don't think you can get any closer than it, haha.

It's 100% online and free (similar to Pixlr) but functions the same as a desktop version of Photoshop (you can't do EVERYTHING in Photopea that you can do in Photoshop, but it gets the job done for basic photo editing needs).

Cheers.

Steves World

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I use Photoshop for all of my thumbnail. I create them in 1920 x 1080, try to sharpen and saturate a little.
I also heard that SNAPPA is a nice free site to make thumb nails if you do not have a copy of photoshop.