Cover the music, then use it in a video...

GammingPandaMan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey Guys,

I was wondering something, maybe someone out here knows what the deal is on that..
I can master a couple of instruments so i was wondering the following...

If i cover a song, instrumental, like any song, and put it under one of my video's is it royalty free and do i owe the copyrights to that instrumental then..???

Just wondering maybe you could help..

Thx allready ;)

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Is the music you're planning to cover in the Public Domain?

If not, then it is still under the composer's copyright. It will not be royalty free unless you license a track from a royalty-free library, and use the track you licensed, not a cover version of the track, in your video. If you cover a copyrighted song without the composer's permission, the least that will happen is that you will get a Content ID, and the worst might be a video takedown and a copyright strike against your channel.

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Is the music you're planning to cover in the Public Domain?

If not, then it is still under the composer's copyright. It will not be royalty free unless you license a track from a royalty-free library, and use the track you licensed, not a cover version of the track, in your video. If you cover a copyrighted song without the composer's permission, the least that will happen is that you will get a Content ID, and the worst might be a video takedown and a copyright strike against your channel.
Anyone that makes a cover owns the copyright to their recording but not the composition.

Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Anyone that makes a cover owns the copyright to their recording but not the composition.
That is just what I said in the post you quoted, Bryce. Usually the composition goes into the Public Domain rather than any specific performance thereof; therefore royalties would still be due the composer of such a work, if it hasn't already entered the Public Domain.

In addition, if there are lyrics that is a separate copyright, and on most tunes there is also one or more arrangements under copyright as well.