Collabs w/ non-youtubers help

illEverlee

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've moved around a bunch in the last few years, and as a result, many friends whom I was close to no longer are, and those who still are live really far away (aside from my roommate). Currently, I want to rebrand my youtube channel to be more than just me. I want to feature a group of live people (content is irrelevant here), but I don't really know enough people around me that I can trust.

I know people who could possibly be interested in joining me, but my problem is finding people who are just as passionate and consistent about this content as I am. I've had trouble in the past convincing or even approaching people to be in a video alongside me. Most people, and I'm not talking about typical youtuber collabs, are apprehensive or pessimistic about the notion once it becomes a real thing, even though they might have relished in the idea before. A lot of these video ideas would be stuff we'd basically do off camera, but once youtube is brought up then it's somehow dumb.

What I'm asking is, how do you go about pitching non-youtube friends and acquaintances to be in your videos or join your channel? And do you have any suggestions to workaround my predicament?

Thanks, you peeps are the best!

CrazyPUA

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Reviewer
This is a kind of predicament I have too, it's hard to get people around me to be in my videos.

Serv Nava

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator, Animator
It's an odd thing being in front of the camera. Some people will just never be comfortable with it/good at it. If someone wants to join me or I want them to join me for a video I try to do a couple practice sessions that way they can see themselves on camera, I find it helps, but then again I have weird friends. ";P

Reactions: illEverlee

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Well its really difficult to approach the people outside of YouTube to appear in our videos. Many of them don't like to be popular on YouTube or gain wrong attention. Some are not even interested at all. Everyone has different choice, so we can't really force them. Convincing them is much more harder than we think.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I find people want to join in once I can show them the type of material I make. I've had a number of folks ask if they could do videos with me lately, and we're actually now collaborating on things that will take a lot more work (my first musical!!) and more technical set up. So I'd say your current work is your best pitching material.

iscomatt

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If they don't want to do it, and aren't excited about it, it probably wouldn't end well, video-wise. The main thing that makes a good video is how much the person wants to be in them. If it feels forced, it could be pretty awkward for the viewer to watch.

I do collabs with non-youtubers over skype all the time, and luckily, I've found a few friends who love the idea of being in my videos irl. Basically, I just do my own thing, and they see how much fun I'm having, and they want to join in on the fun. Or I'll go to them and be like "Hey. If you wanna be in a video, hit me up." and leave it at that. After it festers in their mind for a little bit, they're usually excited at the idea.

illEverlee

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
What is your current pitch like?
It's different per person and conversation, but I guess it goes along the lines of "So I make youtube videos and I want to do this thing for my next one. (Explains video idea) Problem is, I need a friend to do it with. (Reassures that it's all in good fun and totally unscripted)". I'm also not targeting people who would probably never do this in their life.

The people I have trouble with the most are those who just don't follow through, or change their mind half way down the road.[DOUBLEPOST=1459267507,1459267316][/DOUBLEPOST]
If they don't want to do it, and aren't excited about it, it probably wouldn't end well, video-wise. The main thing that makes a good video is how much the person wants to be in them. If it feels forced, it could be pretty awkward for the viewer to watch.

I do collabs with non-youtubers over skype all the time, and luckily, I've found a few friends who love the idea of being in my videos irl. Basically, I just do my own thing, and they see how much fun I'm having, and they want to join in on the fun. Or I'll go to them and be like "Hey. If you wanna be in a video, hit me up." and leave it at that. After it festers in their mind for a little bit, they're usually excited at the idea.
I dunno if I mentioned, but I'm definitely not asking people who aren't excited, and if they aren't at all, then I easily let it die. I like how you just casually throw the idea at people, and let them decide on their own time. But do you ever come across friends who are totally down and then just don't follow through? (eg 90% of people)

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I can't tell you how many times people have fallen through on me. It's just one of those things, everything seems like a great idea in the heat of the moment and then I suppose the two days, or a week, of waiting gives self doubt a chance to eat away at their confidence.

It might be an idea to have something easy set up and ready to go at a moments notice so it might go a little more like, "Yeah, you wanna give it a shot? lets do it now!"

Maybe if you can get that first one down you will have more success with something more advanced.

Idk, just a thought.

illEverlee

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I can't tell you how many times people have fallen through on me. It's just one of those things, everything seems like a great idea in the heat of the moment and then I suppose the two days, or a week, of waiting gives self doubt a chance to eat away at their confidence.

It might be an idea to have something easy set up and ready to go at a moments notice so it might go a little more like, "Yeah, you wanna give it a shot? lets do it now!"

Maybe if you can get that first one down you will have more success with something more advanced.

Idk, just a thought.
Based on what I've heard, that sounds like a fabulous first step! Just treating it kind of casually might be better like when I vlog