Collaborating - The Right and Wrong Way?

Is it better to collaborate with people...

• Total voters
I agree with what you're saying, but you have to realize when you collaborate with someone in a different niche then you will most likely grab the attention of 10% of their viewers. For example I was watching a vlog from a youtuber who does pranks and in one of his vlogs he met up with another vlogger but he doesn't do pranks, his main channel is all about "fun facts". I ended up subscribing to his vlog channel just because of his personality but I didnt subscribe to his main channel just because it wasn't interesting to me.

You make 10% sound like a little, or like it's not worth your time. right now you have 1,820 subs. If you took 10% of my subs right now, wouldn't you be in a better spot? I will gladly take 1% of pewdepie's subs lol Seriously!

10% is huge! You have to realize 10% isn't just that 10%. It's like a virus. Out of that 10% how many will share you on their social media? How many will talk about you to family / friends? 10% is huge.

Let's look at it the way you meant though and let me be extremely literal.

Example: If I have 1,000 subs and Janet has 1,000 subs and a totally different niche and we collab.
If I get 10% of her subs that would be 100 subscribers. but not just 100 subs let's finish the sentence
100 subscribers that I would've NEVER been able to target, see or collect. <<<< that is more than worth the collab alone. I gain 1/10 of my own subs? SCORE

Which brings me to another topic but kind of the same. This is also why big youtubers should collab with smaller youtubers. Smaller youtubers have super loyal followers who want to see them grow and have tons of respect for them. So if they see a huge youtuber reach out and help them, its almost an automatic sub. So even if doing this gets you lets say 50% of their subs? We're talking loyal, quality subs. SCORE

Yeah absolutely, if we're sure that a large enough proportion do speak English then that could justify the collab and that could work. I think we're actually agreeing but getting a bit caught up in the semantics of niche and demographics.

My channel is a tutorials channel and there's a guy on YouTube (direct competitor but smaller channel) who has been constantly reaching out to me, promoting his vids to me via PM, trying to do a collab etc etc. In the end, I just replied to him and asked him "Why are you promoting your videos to me? I do not need to learn this skill. I am already a fully qualified teacher of what you are teaching. I am not your target audience and why would we collab anyway? There is no win-win at all. He never replied lol.

He probably felt intimidated or confused. Me personally? If I truly wanted to make it work with you I would find a way.

We agree for the most part but here is where we differ. You're saying there has to be a guaranteed clear way that the collab will be beneficial to both parties. I disagree with this is all I'm saying.
You do not have to clearly know, I'm saying simply take the risk! You have nothing to lose and everything to gain, even if it is only a little bit, a gain is a gain.

You can literally give me any, any, channel and I will tell you 10 ways we can collab and 10 ways it could potentially be worth it for both parties.

Last edited:
This seems like common sense to me but apparently there is something I'm missing.

If I had to make a choice, my vote is for... Outside of your niche

I can't fathom why makeup guru's only want to collaborate with other makeup gurus. Gamers only want to collab with gamers etc.

Isn't the whole point behind collaborating to touch an audience you will most likely NEVER be able to touch?

Example: If I have a makeup channel chances are I can possibly eventually grab the same audience as another makeup guru. I'm probably already showing in their suggested videos. They may most likely be my direct competition.

If I have a makeup channel and I do a collaboration with a gaming channel, I could potentially pull girl gamers, girlfriends, sisters, moms etc of gamers, as well as gamers who simply think I'm hot.

If I have a cooking channel, wouldn't it be smart to collaborate with a fishing channel? Two totally different niches but most likely there will be people from each side that subscribe to the other. An audience will be gained that most likely would have never happened otherwise.

Doesn't that make more sense?

Doing both is actually the best thing to do but I rarely see that. Most people refuse to collaborate with people outside of their niche. So, what about you?

*edited to add even better example*
I've only done a couple of collabs... A couple are with other pet channels and the others are when I use songs that my buddies made in my videos. In each of them I post links to their original video or channel to get them extra traffic.

So basically I have similar videos and also a totally different genre and each have worked for both parties positively.

The videos I have done as collabs don't have an insane amount of views or anything, but from what I have seen there is extra traffic generated. Here are a couple examples of what was done with mine, they are pretty simple and we don't even have to be on the same continent:

I actually have collaborated once before with someone with a completely different niche. He had way more subscribers then I had, and while I got quitte some subs of it, it was still very little comparing to how many subs he had. So yeah, there's definitly a change to get subs from outside of your niche, but the changes are very little, in my experience

Example: If I have 1,000 subs and Janet has 1,000 subs and a totally different niche and we collab.
If I get 10% of her subs that would be 100 subscribers. but not just 100 subs let's finish the sentence
100 subscribers that I would've NEVER been able to target, see or collect. <<<< that is more than worth the collab alone. I gain 1/10 of my own subs? SCORE

I agree with this and I just want to expand on it to show why it's better if you and Janet are from different niches. - The fact that you are from different niches means that Janet doesn't lose any subs if/when they sub to you and vice versa if 10% of your existing subs decide to sub to Janet, you don't lose those subs either. The reason is that you're from different niches not direct competitors. People aren't leaving one channel for the other.

I agree with this and I just want to expand on it to show why it's better if you and Janet are from different niches. - The fact that you are from different niches means that Janet doesn't lose any subs if/when they sub to you and vice versa if 10% of your existing subs decide to sub to Janet, you don't lose those subs either. The reason is that you're from different niches not direct competitors. People aren't leaving one channel for the other.
I have never left one channel for another. I'm still subscribed to Children of Poseidon even though I found these crazy a** dudes!

I get what you're saying and see I never considered that, probably because I don't think like that.

I stand behind my content, so I really can't see anyone leaving my channel for another but I totally get where you're coming from. I'd still take the risk though. <<<now I'm just making trouble

Seriously I get where you're coming from, we just think differently when it comes to small details.

I get what you're saying and see I never considered that, probably because I don't think like that.

I stand behind my content, so I really can't see anyone leaving my channel for another but I totally get where you're coming from. I'd still take the risk though. <<<now I'm just making trouble

Seriously I get where you're coming from, we just think differently when it comes to small details.

I'm confident in my own content too but there's more to it than that. People only have a finite amount of time they can spend watching videos. Gaining subs is easy - it's views that matter. Views drive growth on YouTube not subs. When people are subbing to lots of channels because of collab videos they've watched or whatever, then sooner or later they have to make a choice who they're going to watch and who they're not going to watch. By collabing with channels outside of your niche, there's less risk of losing views to a direct competitor IMHO.[DOUBLEPOST=1446743353,1446743209][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have never left one channel for another. I'm still subscribed to Children of Poseidon even though I found these crazy a** dudes!

lol

*googles Children of Poseidon*

OMG at staples challenge video ^^

I'm confident in my own content too but there's more to it than that. People only have a finite amount of time they can spend watching videos. Gaining subs is easy - it's views that matter. Views drive growth on YouTube not subs. When people are subbing to lots of channels because of collab videos they've watched or whatever, then sooner or later they have to make a choice who they're going to watch and who they're not going to watch. By collabing with channels outside of your niche, there's less risk of losing views to a direct competitor IMHO.[DOUBLEPOST=1446743353,1446743209][/DOUBLEPOST]

lol

*googles Children of Poseidon*

OMG at staples challenge video ^^
I found them when I was bored at work and decided to search for "Cactus belly flop". I found the other stunt group when I was looking for a CoP video, it's where he backflipped off of a scoreboard onto a fence with his nuts

Back