Cheap/Affordable Lighting Equipment Exists!!?

SlimmmCali

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey Guys,
I found these online a few months ago and have been eyeing them for quite some time now.

NEW PHOTO STUDIO CONTINUOUS LIGHTING UMBRELLA KIT GCB092

These lights are under $50, and if it is your first time ordering from the site, that brings the price of them down to $41 dollars, along with free shipping.
They are specifically stated as "photo" lights, but I was wondering, in your opinion of course, would these be decent for adequate video lighting?? I am by no means a professional, and have just been using natural sunlight up to this point, but I am so tired of having the pressure to record between 10 and 2 for best lighting. lol

So what do you guys think?
Opinions needed :)[DOUBLEPOST=1454084073,1454084005][/DOUBLEPOST]Not sure if the link is showing up or not... Click the image to go to the site with the equipment to take a look.[DOUBLEPOST=1454084833][/DOUBLEPOST]Site didnt allow me to post the link, but if you copy the name of the lights into a google search it should come up!
Thanks!

Dino

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Another option for lighting is clamp lights from places like Lowes. All you have to do is toss in a lightbulb, and boom, instant lighting wherever you want it.

James Strange

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Another option for lighting is clamp lights from places like Lowes. All you have to do is toss in a lightbulb, and boom, instant lighting wherever you want it.
Yep, that is what I used to do (make sure they are daylight and not soft light). Also change out the room lighting to daylight bulbs. The light kit only has 2 - 45 watt bulbs. That is not a lot. The light stands that I am using at the moment each have 5 - 45 watt bulbs.

SlimmmCali

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Very true! I've been looking for some good studio lights though so I wont have to clamp or adjust much.[DOUBLEPOST=1454088337,1454088199][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yep, that is what I used to do (make sure they are daylight and not soft light). Also change out the room lighting to daylight bulbs. The light kit only has 2 - 45 watt bulbs. That is not a lot. The light stands that I am using at the moment each have 5 - 45 watt bulbs.
What kind of light stands do you use?

Dino

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Very true! I've been looking for some good studio lights though so I wont have to clamp or adjust much
I own a set of lights and light stands. Trust me, either way you're going to be doing a lot of adjustment. The only difference is that the clamp lights are smaller, and can be clipped onto anything.

SlimmmCali

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I own a set of lights and light stands. Trust me, either way you're going to be doing a lot of adjustment. The only difference is that the clamp lights are smaller, and can be clipped onto anything.
Have you ever tried covering the lights with anything (like ive seen people use some type of thin paper to soften the lighting), or has it not really been necessary?

Dino

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Have you ever tried covering the lights with anything (like ive seen people use some type of thin paper to soften the lighting), or has it not really been necessary?
I've used some diffusers, but I've always found it easier to reflect the light off of some sort of surface, like a wall or ceiling. Careful putting anything over lights by the way, because they get hot after you turn them on.

James Strange

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Very true! I've been looking for some good studio lights though so I wont have to clamp or adjust much.[DOUBLEPOST=1454088337,1454088199][/DOUBLEPOST]

What kind of light stands do you use?
I bought a cheap kit about a year ago, I think it was around $70 with shipping. It came with some cheap microphone tripod stands that work ok. But they are flimsy.

Soon I will swap over to LED lights. I have used them once but they are not with me at the moment (I travel a lot). They are expensive but I love them, getting ready to order battery packs so I do not need the cords.

SlimmmCali

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I bought a cheap kit about a year ago, I think it was around $70 with shipping. It came with some cheap microphone tripod stands that work ok. But they are flimsy.

Soon I will swap over to LED lights. I have used them once but they are not with me at the moment (I travel a lot). They are expensive but I love them, getting ready to order battery packs so I do not need the cords.
I know you said youvve only used them once, but how have you liked them thus far?

James Strange

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Reactions: SlimmmCali