Can I get into trouble for this?

Er.. it is not illegal to sell your channel.
It may be against the Terms of Service, but that doesn't mean something is illegal.
For all we know it is a legal purchase. Like for instance, if the old channel owner changed it to a business name, and then the business was sold to the OP. That is just a change in ownership of the business, even though it is the same entity.

I mean it doesn't look like that is what happened, but, I do want to point out there are ways of doing it legally.

Either way, the question of getting the account terminated is a possibility. When you purchased the channel, was the copyright of the videos included in the purchase?
What I would do is attempt to terminate the contract with the MCN with the fact that the original owner no longer owns the channel or the copyright to the videos(if applicable).

If you own the copyrights to the videos, start moving them over to a new channel, etc.

No matter what anyone says in here, the copyright of a video, is a legally assignable asset. If you have assignment of said copyright, the video is yours do what you will to it.

Either way, start uploading to a new channel... try as hard as you can to convert your current subscribers to the new channel.
It was quite obvious that he didn't buy a business and got a YouTube channel included in it, so no need to point that out in this particular thread...

It was quite obvious that he didn't buy a business and got a YouTube channel included in it, so no need to point that out in this particular thread
A business can be a person's name... it doesn't have to be a corporation... he can do business under the person's old name and assume a DBA...
For all intents and purposes, he could have purchased a business if the video assets were included with the purchase..
This is subjected to local jurisdictional laws etc..

A business can be a person's name... it doesn't have to be a corporation... he can do business under the person's old name and assume a DBA...
For all intents and purposes, he could have purchased a business if the video assets were included with the purchase..
This is subjected to local jurisdictional laws etc..
He was 14, it wouldn't have been a legal transaction anyway without his parents.

He was 14, it wouldn't have been a legal transaction anyway without his parents.

Again, that is just not true..
Even if it was a credit card where debt was incurred, that debt would be the responsibility of the parents. If you purchase a car, when you are a minor does that make it not yours?
Of course not.
It was a legal transaction in all common law districts(pretty much all of US except Louisiana)..even in civil law districts.(like Louisiana)

The only idea I could give you is getting in contact with the original owner over skype, and writing up a letter saying that you 2 are in the company together, and asking to have your details added to the machinima account.

there are plenty of co-owned accounts out there. If he can do this for you than you may be able to add your detail and then never have to bother him again

Also i'm sure that I can say that the original owner is my friend and gave me access once he decided to quit. Also I'm from the EU mate, and I absolutely wish I was not.

@chaosman @Lars2TheV Keep future replies respectful and on topic to the original post and do not argue amongst yourselves in this thread.
Delete the whole discussion then. This shouldn't even be allowed to talk about. Have no idea why a thread like this may exist longer than a thread that asks for sub4sub, buying subs, buying views etc.

This shouldn't even be allowed to talk about.
This forum is about asking questions for advice, which he did. He is not soliciting. You've made your point on the topic and if you're that worked up about it that you can't discuss without arguing, move on to something else.

Back