Can Background Music Cause Video(s) Being Deleted?

you say that but one of my videos was claimed on for a 30 second clip of a song (that was played in the game by the way) in gat out of hell and that video has 4 views i think 2 of them were me, so im sure youtube must use their own kind of 'shazam' to catch copyrighted music as so to make sure people arent stealing other peoples content. lucky enough the only thing that happened was the video was monetised by the company that hold the rights to the song so it wasnt like i was given a strike but that video will never make them any money off of me, i will dispute it but it would be easier if i didnt have to.
It's all dependent on how the music is presented and used. Games are tricky because the devs buy a licence to use the music but as the player you don't own the rights which is why it's claimed. Plus 30 seconds is a long time for copyrighted music to be played (I only use 5 seconds to make use it is way within fair use and nothings been claimed yet) although I'd still call that fair use due to the fact you're playing a game and not using the music. As for @SeanFace101 I looked at the video that has the music in the background and you can barely even hear the music playing so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

If I create a video & upload it onto my YouTube channel and there is music playing in the background, could this be something that could get my video removed by YouTube?

If the music is clearly incidental, you're within your legal rights... but it's a big grey area.

More thank likely, you won't get a strike and the video won't be removed, but it would be picked up by Content ID* (YouTube's 'Shazam' as mentioned by mitchell scott in an earlier post). Once video or audio are picked up by Content ID, the video typically gets a 3rd party copyright claim, the video will then be monetized and/ or tracked by the copyright holder, and, depending on licensing issues, may be turned off in certain parts of the world.

If you're lucky, you might get an option to remove the offending audio and YouTube will do it's best to silence it, but those results can be hit or miss or completely useless if you were talking over the music.

YouTube would also allow you to change the audio to a song in their library, but, again, that option is useless if there is talking or important audio in the video.

Lastly, you can always fight it, but that's close to impossible and rarely worth the headache it can cause.

* Videos uploaded to YouTube are scanned against a database of files that have been submitted to us by content owners. Copyright owners get to decide what happens when content in a video on YouTube matches a work they own. When this happens, the video gets a Content ID claim.

A few months ago we had a video where we were in a public place and there was music being played through a store's speakers. We didn't get a strike but the video got claimed by the music company, so we just took down the video and muted out that part where there was music that could be clearly heard, and re-uploaded it and it was fine.

Some people on the forum said I should appeal it but I just didn't feel like dealing with that, it's not like I got a strike, and it was much easier just to mute it.

Back