Blocking commenters you can't stand?

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Anybody here ever block somebody from your channel because they leave a lot of comments that are just frustrating to read? To elaborate: they don't seem intentionally ill-willed (if anything they seem eager which ends up making it worse), and they remain somewhat on-topic, but the quality of their comments is so horrid and atrocious (in the ideas the person is trying to get across, as well as spelling, grammar, and syntax - not to mention the person is just dumping semi-related thoughts in a form that seems better suited for a personal blog than a response to a specific video) that you dread reading the comments when notifications comes in? And they leave enough of these comments constantly that it just feels like it kills the "vibe" in the comment section?

This is the first time I went ahead an blocked somebody after I tried to ignore them for months. I finally got to the point where if this person ends up making me feel annoyed and frustrated even without the intent to do so, I still just don't want to give them a platform to continue doing that.

I finally decided to make the choice after a lot of mental struggle, and I still feel bad about it, but it's like... ugh, I just can't stand it anymore. It's horrifically annoying, it's clear other people are steering clear of this person, and it's not like I have enough comments coming in that this person can easily be drowned out by sheer volume (not to mention this person replies with nonsense to other people too and is always ignored). I've had one other commenter explode on this guy already for being annoying and hijacking a thread, and I'm pretty sure they were driven away by that s****y experience seeing as how they never bothered to comment on my videos again, and it's an occurrence that I can see easily repeating in the future.

I'm just venting more than anything with this thread I guess since I'm still feeling conflicted about blocking somebody who's not actually trolling or being vile on purpose.
But if I get comments at a volume I can handle (which on the majority of my videos I can), I want to try to foster a community and get good discussions going, and letting this person do their thing seems like it would be counter to that.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Crown

BlueBin

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If they're taking the time to watch my videos, I'm going to appreciate them weather they have good grammar or not.

I'd block spam but that's about it.

Reactions: Mattaxol

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
If they're taking the time to watch my videos, I'm going to appreciate them weather they have good grammar or not.
Are you going to continue appreciating them if they drive away other people from engaging in commenting or having discussions?

The concept of spam also applies - at a certain point when a person dumps enough of their semi-related thoughts into your comment section it certainly starts to feel like spam. On the internet spam can refer to unwanted advertising, but it can also refer to when somebody continues to write inanity.

And I would accept this person's grammar and syntax and spelling being way worse (though TBH not sure how that would be possible without the sentences becoming 100% eligible) if the ideas they were trying to get across were at least something that didn't make me facepalm every time I skimmed almost every single comment of theirs.

GrgakGames

Phoenix Games Enthusiast (Please end my life)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I totally agree
but at the same time it's YouTube.

There is always going to be that group of ineligible people who just get on your nerves.

I honestly don't think though that this kids comments are really messing up your community though...right?

cause the only times that really happens are with people like Pewdiepie where his community consisted of 12 year olds.

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I honestly don't think though that this kids comments are really messing up your community though...right?
Other than a couple incidents (one I described), nah not really, but the problem is I don't quite have a community yet either, I'm still a bit too small for that. And impacting a budding community is a lot easier than a developed community, and I've asked this person already to try to reorient the manner in which they post to no avail.

I dunno, I feel bad about it right now, but it seems like one of those decisions where I'll look back in a week or two and be super glad I did it.

It's not like I'm going to crusade against dumb comments altogether, that's a losing fight for sure. This is the only incident I've had where the chronic and excessive nature of it has led me to such an action, and honestly I never foresaw such a thing coming in the first place and wish I never felt compelled to block a person in this manner.

If I had a purely entertainment channel I don't think this would be an issue or even applicable (but my channel revolves around discussion and analysis).

GrgakGames

Phoenix Games Enthusiast (Please end my life)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Other than a couple incidents (one I described), nah not really, but the problem is I don't quite have a community yet either, I'm still a bit too small for that. And impacting a budding community is a lot easier than a developed community, and I've asked this person already to try to reorient the manner in which they post to no avail.

I dunno, I feel bad about it right now, but it seems like one of those decisions where I'll look back in a week or two and be super glad I did it.

It's not like I'm going to crusade against dumb comments altogether, that's a losing fight for sure. This is the only incident I've had where the chronic and excessive nature of it has led me to such an action, and honestly I never foresaw such a thing coming in the first place and wish I never felt compelled to block a person in this manner.

If I had a purely entertainment channel I don't think this would be an issue or even applicable (but my channel revolves around discussion and analysis).

Do you think when this guy finds out he won't just try and spam your comment section even more with different accounts?

I dunno. I hope everything works out for you man.

MBGaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Anybody here ever block somebody from your channel because they leave a lot of comments that are just frustrating to read? To elaborate: they don't seem intentionally ill-willed (if anything they seem eager which ends up making it worse), and they remain somewhat on-topic, but the quality of their comments is so horrid and atrocious (both in spelling and syntax, and in the ideas the person is trying to get across - not to mention the person is just dumping semi-related thoughts in a form that seems better suited for a personal blog than a response to a specific video) that you dread reading the comments when notifications comes in? And they leave enough of these comments constantly that it just feels like it kills the "vibe" in the comment section?

This is the first time I went ahead an blocked somebody after I tried to ignore them for months. I finally got to the point where if this person ends up making me feel annoyed and frustrated even without the intent to do so, I still just don't want to give them a platform to continue doing that.

I finally decided to make the choice after a lot of mental struggle, and I still feel bad about it, but it's like... ugh, I just can't stand it anymore. It's horrifically annoying, it's clear other people are steering clear of this person, and it's not like I have enough comments coming in that this person can easily be drowned out by sheer volume (not to mention this person replies with nonsense to other people too and is always ignored). I've had one other commenter explode on this guy already for being annoying and hijacking a thread, and I'm pretty sure they were driven away by that s****y experience seeing as how they never bothered to comment on my videos again, and it's an occurrence that I can see easily repeating in the future.

I'm just venting more than anything with this thread I guess since I'm still feeling conflicted about blocking somebody who's not actually trolling or being vile on purpose.
But if I get comments at a volume I can handle (which on the majority of my videos I can), I want to try to foster a community and get good discussions going, and letting this person do their thing seems like it would be counter to that.

Thoughts?
Can you give an example of such comments ?
Because if they are only spelling and syntax mistakes, I'd let them in stay as I had that "problem" before and it didn't bother me at all :) Maybe your case is different

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Do you think when this guy finds out he won't just try and spam your comment section even more with different accounts?
Well, if he does, the guilt I feel right now will be 100% lifted and I'd feel entirely justified in my action rather than merely semi-justified. But yeah, we'll see how it goes I guess.

It's just one of those weird cases where I deeply wish this person was a troll or a traditional spammer or flung a bunch of personal attacks out or something. That would be a simple and easy block and I would never have made this thread.

Last edited:

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
You did a right job by blocking them, nobody has time to respond to their hate and spammy comments! I know this thing is very frustrating, but finally you got over it. You should do it for everyone who repeats this.

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Can you give an example of such comments ?
Because if they are only spelling and syntax mistakes, I'd let them in stay as I had that "problem" before and it didn't bother me at all :) Maybe your case is different
The spelling and syntax are the least objectionable parts, haha (though when layered atop everything else it does add an extra layer of exasperation, particularly when a few sentences are so wrong I can't even tell what they're saying anymore).

I've since deleted this person's comments when I performed the block, but let me see if I have any remnants in my email account if they haven't all been sent to trash already.
OK, so I only have one email still in my inbox, and it gets cut-off before it finishes (it kept going for a while longer than what you see below) since comment notifications in the email seem to only include parts of comments rather than the entire comment:

"This episode could of work if Finn and Jake were in it so PB can be more sorry about what happen, I'm just not into the fact that everyone has to go along with it even if she push everyone away. The problem I have is The relationships in this when a character does something wrong like PBs control freak stuff no one is in this and never talks to her about it and sure Marceline got an a Apology but not Finn and Jake and the worse thing is that PB locks up Finn and Jake in Apple Wedding... "

That one isn't nearly as bad as the worst ones were, in fact this one is really relatively quite mild (keep in mind this comment still kept on going for a while in that same manner).
He rambles/rants about highly-personal dislikes and gripes in multiple-comment screeds about how the TV show is not catering to his specific desires, and most of the stuff he brings up has barely any (if any at all) relation to the specific episode my video review was of to begin with - the guy goes on tangents left and right. And you would have to actually watch Adventure Time to get the details, but the guy has no comprehension whatsoever of how character development or character relations in works of fiction are crafted, so none of his comments come across at all like criticisms but rather as whining about why characters aren't doing what he wants them to do (and he has zero comprehension regarding characters having faults and flaws). There's just this really strong sense of whiny entitlement behind most of his rants (describing his comments as "full of sound and fury signifying nothing" would be a compliment).

And as I said, I tried responding to him and even having a conversation about how he could try to craft his thoughts in a more "sensible" way, but it was to no avail. I tried ignoring him, but if anything that led him to leaving more comments and even re-writing the same exact stuff across multiple videos. He's also done this super odd thing several times where he deletes his comment and makes the exact same one (which I guess the point is to flood me with more notifications).

Last edited: