Hi Everyone I'm James. I just signed up for these forums and I plan to start my own gaming channel sometime in the next few months. I don't know much about running a channel but I was hoping some of you guys could give some me some important tips or advice.
Hi James

Great that you have decided to start your own gaming channel.
My numbers isn't big and I only started my own channel 5mths ago but I would still love to share these tips I learn along the way. (Whatever tips I provide would be almost the same tips any youtuber would)
You may want to start with a catchy Channel name which easy to remember, easy to pronounce and Unique.
Next, Fabulize your Channel Banner and Avartar as Outstanding as you can, since the first thing your viewers will notice is your banner and why outstanding Avartar? So when u do comment on other vids, people would click on your avartar out of curiousity and checkout your channel. (Don't make click bait avartar, which means u put sexy hot girls pic but you're actually a Macho man)
Trailer would be optional but if you need to, KISS IT! (Not literately... But Keep It Short & Sweet) the smaller the channel you're the shorter it should be. Which for us, not more than 2 mins. You need to make it look like a commercial.. Take reference from tv adverts.
Good quality videos and Awesome sound quality won't make your viewers stay if you do not have good content.
So videos should be entertaining, fun and comfortable to watch. So be yourself (don't be a copycat) Have real fun and don't fake it... (Unless you're an award winning actor)
Always remember that viewers have 10-30 Sec Attention Span, so make sure u catch their curiousity in the first 10-30sec at the beginning of your vids. Intro should also never exceed 5 sec. And vids should stick around 3-10mins depending on your channel size and also what games u're playing. Funny montage 5mins.. Let's Play 10-15mins or more if ur viewers wants more.
Thumbnails and Titles are the ones that also attract curious viewers, so make it outstanding and no click bait... (U will only get flags or dislikes because u mislead them with click bait)
The best way to promote your channel.... Is to socialize more! You have Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Forums, Reddit etc... They don't call social network for nothing. When you socialize more, people take notice of you.. Likes you and then... wants to get to know you and will click on your profile, which then... Your profile should indicate your youtube channel. If they like your vids they will share it.
(Do not self-promote unless you want haters or dislikes on your channel)
Last but not least, do not give up and and have lots of patience
HTH (sry for the long post)