Best places to post for exposure without being called out for self promotion?

doublec4

Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Within the past few months I've really been trying to take my YouTube channel and "brand" more seriously. I would really like to grow my subscriber base and try and reach out to more people.

I'm having a hard time finding places to post my videos for exposure. I belong to a few car forums where I have established myself as a contributing member, but new forums that I join don't take too kindly to me sharing my videos. They feel that I am self promoting (which I am in a way, but with good intentions) despite the fact that the real purpose of my videos are to share related knowledge (car related DIY videos, tutorials etc).

At the end of the day I am trying to share knowledge and reach out and make that knowledge available to others, but it may come across as self promotion. Where can I do this without it being labelled selfish?

Thanks!

Super Pawsitive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Well maybe you shouldn't put quotations around the word "brand" if you want people to take your brand seriously :p

Also, I recommend Reddit! /r/cars is a pretty active subreddit based around everything cars and automobile related. Granted, I would do some research before you even consider posting. Like, what are the subreddit rules, what are these people interested in seeing? Can you provide what they want to see? Etc. Doing tutorials is evergreen, and those will always be helpful. Though, I would argue you should always try to cater to what your niche is currently interested in.

If you're catering to their interests, most people don't see it as self-promotion. Or, if they do they likely will not care.

sphamedia

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Its very rarely about the place, its often how you use it, for example, if you just show up and post, then it will annoy people, but if people recognise you as an active member youll get a beter reaction and more views, i am active on 4 websites and 12 reddits and i stopped getting a problem like 4 months ago

Sibernethy

Questin' for a Jestin'
Reaction score
Website
www.sibernethy.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Discord is a good place to gain exposure but please do it discreetly. Get to know people first and spend some time with them before introducing your channel.

GucciCarry

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Forums like this, social medias and friends. Thats the best advice I can give you with exposure.

Suess

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Im having the same problem. If you try to interact with communities then it wont be seen as spam when you occasionally post up your video. That is the best advice I can give.

doublec4

Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Thanks guys, I will try some of your suggestions. If anyone else has any suggestions for public forums that are welcoming of video contribution, please let me know!