Best low budget Camera and Mic?

Starfox

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi guys,

I could really do with some advice. Im excited about starting up a new channel for tech, tips, reviews ect and i will need a decent camera and mic to do so. Right now it has to be low budget BUT i don't want to sacrifice quality.

Could anyone out there advise me what is a good camera to use for recording videos for youtube until i can afford a higher spec one? and the same goes for a mic. Thanks in advance :)

Shane

ItsJustJames

Releasing my inner child since 2016
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
'Low budget' and 'quality' is a bit of an oxymoron lol. Understandably you may not want to share your budget but it might help to gauge the kind of quality you're shooting for. Are you looking at buying a low-end DSLR for £400? Or are we talking under £100 for both camera and sound department?

James.

Mr Danny

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I know it's not the best option, but when you say 'low cost' the first thing that comes to mind is the phone camera. Yeah, it's not great, but since you probably already have a phone, it's gonna be real cheap! At least until you can afford a proper camera.

Jesus0823

Reaction score
I just bought a blue ice mic from best buy for around 50 bucks US. It gives pretty good recording audio

Reactions: Kyle GWG

ItsJustJames

Releasing my inner child since 2016
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I just bought a blue ice mic from best buy for around 50 bucks US. It gives pretty good recording audio
For tech reviews though is it the best option? Does StarFox want to be standing in front of a camera holding a desk microphone?

You need to be looking into shotguns or lavalier's for that sort of thing.

James.

projectorgaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Get a go pro knockoff on amazon and a zalman zm-1 mic. Less than 100 total.

SHFAcademy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Your best bet would be to use your phone camera, it does the job well for me.
I have a Samsung S5.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Not sure how low of a budget you are looking at but our last video was shot on a Canon T2i ($320 with kit lens - Amazon) with the Magic Lantern firmware (free). You can get decent video quality with the kit lens if you light the room accordingly and stay away from using high iso.

Mic: Some sort of USB Condenser Mic. STAY AWAY from mics that use an XLR cable and Phantom Power, you will need additional gear and it will be a hassle..
I'm not too sure on brands. I know one of my friends had a Blue Snowball USB Condenser ($50 - Amazon)

If you can't swing the money for the DSLR at least grab a decent mic first and maybe use your phone on a stand or maybe even a HD webcam. Don't spend too much on the cheapo knock off brand junk. That's money that could have been put toward a decent piece of gear. You get what you pay for!!

Hope this helps,
- Cole

Review Wiz

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
buy a camcorder from jvc and neewer mic both are on amazon. im gonna review the mic on my channel soon