Backdrops and lighting kits help

Ruth Taylor

I was just wondering if someone could help me with this as I dont have much money so I can't spend a arm and a leg and my budget really is under £80 i have found this on amazon and its not expensive but I can't afford something overly expensive
41f-G6Xr6DL.jpg

I was hoping if anyone could give me some advice as I know i should save up for more expensive equipment but right now I cannot afford it.

I would say for a start don't necessarily spend cash on a backdrop. Get creative and find a space you can dress up. A little bit of creativity goes a long way where production value is concerned!

That softbox kit would be a good place to start. But also think about the camera you're using and the space you're in. If there is already enough light, you might be able to get a professional looking image without lights. Are you using a DSLR or similar? This is just me personally but I'd put cash into camera and sound before light. Again, just my opinion.

Good luck!
James.

I would say for a start don't necessarily spend cash on a backdrop. Get creative and find a space you can dress up. A little bit of creativity goes a long way where production value is concerned!

That softbox kit would be a good place to start. But also think about the camera you're using and the space you're in. If there is already enough light, you might be able to get a professional looking image without lights. Are you using a DSLR or similar? This is just me personally but I'd put cash into camera and sound before light. Again, just my opinion.

Good luck!
James.
Hey I already have my dslr which I love and the problem is the layout of my bedroom which is where I mostly feel comfortable filming but because of the layout of my room there isn't anywhere that isn't too overly busy and distracting unless I fun against a door aha plus I have just moved back to my parents and I'm waiting to move out again so I have most of my things in a box/ on the floor
I have been looking at a mic alongside this if you do have any recommendations but the sound quality is manageable over my camera but as I'm still starting out I don't want to jump in as I'm not over 100 subs

I use one of those box lights aimed above me at my white wall and I hang a big black sheet of fabric from my ceiling. :) For a green screen did you know you can easily use any piece of green fabric? Just be sure it doesn't have wrinkles and its thick enough. I use an old sheet from a fabric shop. No one has never noticed. Haha.

Hey I already have my dslr which I love and the problem is the layout of my bedroom which is where I mostly feel comfortable filming but because of the layout of my room there isn't anywhere that isn't too overly busy and distracting unless I fun against a door aha plus I have just moved back to my parents and I'm waiting to move out again so I have most of my things in a box/ on the floor
I have been looking at a mic alongside this if you do have any recommendations but the sound quality is manageable over my camera but as I'm still starting out I don't want to jump in as I'm not over 100 subs

It's really hard to know where your money is worth investing. If you're just starting out you might what to consider hanging on to your money and wait a while. Keep making great content then when you feel as though you're totally commited, start upgrading.

James.

Getting creative is one of the more fun ways of doing things I think, as @MissFushi suggested.
The Lightbox lighting might not even be what you want anyway! Try experimenting with any lamps, windows, etc. you have already to see if you can get an image you like, and then upgrade later if necessary.
Also a green green screen might not be the best if you want to do any green screen stuff considering your cool hair color! Personally I think a natural set up background looks better anyways, like a couch with some pillows, or a wall covered in posters, or whatever fits your theme and style.

Getting creative is one of the more fun ways of doing things I think, as @MissFushi suggested.
The Lightbox lighting might not even be what you want anyway! Try experimenting with any lamps, windows, etc. you have already to see if you can get an image you like, and then upgrade later if necessary.
Also a green green screen might not be the best if you want to do any green screen stuff considering your cool hair color! Personally I think a natural set up background looks better anyways, like a couch with some pillows, or a wall covered in posters, or whatever fits your theme and style.
Aha I have had problems before with green screens where it's turned my hair purple So funny as it was at a Harry Potter studio tour
My only problem is my parents as when I was filming previously I was in my own place and could go anywhere in the house but with my room layout there isn't any great place to do it without it feeling so busy, I may have to do more stuff outside aha but I might get creative such as putting my mattress upright on the floor with a sheet on it for now

My only problem is my parents as when I was filming previously I was in my own place and could go anywhere in the house but with my room layout there isn't any great place to do it without it feeling so busy
That's unfortunate!

Theres one thing with outside filming, sometimes the colors can get blown out because of the natural light being very strong!

The bed thing could work, or you could just try hanging a sheet behind you from the wall or something.

Either way it seems like you're on the right track, just gotta test things out now!

Theres one thing with outside filming, sometimes the colors can get blown out because of the natural light being very strong!

In the friendliest way, I would personally argue that outside is a great place to start out filming. Ignoring obvious sound issues, sunlight gives you a great amount of light to work with compared to a lighting setup indoors. By setting your camera onto manual exposure Ruth, you would be able to achieve a nice looking image outside. Give some consideration to where the sun is in the sky and you're away. The sun is the one of the most important lights in a gaffer's toolkit.

Good luck,
James.

In the friendliest way, I would personally argue that outside is a great place to start out filming. Ignoring obvious sound issues, sunlight gives you a great amount of light to work with compared to a lighting setup indoors. By setting your camera onto manual exposure Ruth, you would be able to achieve a nice looking image outside. Give some consideration to where the sun is in the sky and you're away. The sun is the one of the most important lights in a gaffer's toolkit.

Good luck,
James.
I have filmed one video on the channel outside and I chose somewhere that was light but didn't have glare from the sun I think no matter where you film your always going to have problems with light unless you have a good seat up that you can arrange to your advantage aha

Back