AUDACITY BACKGROUND NOISE REMOVAL GUIDE

Samantha Brown

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Tried it out but still not that much of a differense.
Can still hear the clicking from my keyboard. in parts where I am talking.
I presume that your keyboard sounds have a higher pitch and therefore isnt suppressed. I can`t remove stuff like that either with noise removal. I use noise removal to get away the constant humming and hissing sounds. At this point you can either play around with the levels for how much background noise you remove but that might affect your voice, you can specifically select the keyboard noise in Audacity and try removing that, you can shield your microphone from the keyboard, play with your audio recording levels, you can get a more quiet keyboard, you can "drown" the sounds by adding music/ambiance but you run the risk of drowning your voice also, OR do a voice over.

For the kinds of videos I make, I have to do voice overs, but I still have to do noise removal. So I lock the door, remove as much background noise as I can, shield my microphone and record. Then all that is left is humming/hissing which audacity decently removes. I get a good result without spending the extra $$$ for more pro equipment. Hope this helps.

Warriorheart

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
the only things that suck is that sometimes if ur voice is quiet at moments then it will cut out ur voice

Karac Cano

Professional procastenator
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Doesn't Final Cut and Premire Pro have this denoiser software built in?

Jums

Cynical, sarcastic, pessimistic....... British
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Great simple solution dude, as I have limited space I sat right next to the computer tower, this got rid of any background humming the fans cause.

WarriorDan

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
To remove background noise with audacity, start your recording, DO NOT make anyyyy noises or touch or click anything for about 5-8 seconds. record your voice or something for a bit, maybe 20 seconds of voice.

NEXT On the top menu part, click EFFECT. Then look for NOISE REMOVAL. Click this. Make your settings like this. Noise reduction 24. Sensitivity 0.00, Frequency smoothing 150,attack decay time 0.15. Make sure the bottom part it set to remove, not isolate..

Setup should be done. Now get out of that for a second. Time for the actual noise removal.

Highlight (click on the actual soundbar where you see your sound waves) highlight the 5 or so seconds of silence. While that is highlighted, go back to effect, noise removal, then click GET NOISE PROFILE. It now sees what you are trying to get rid of. Click CONTROL+A at the same time and it will highlight the whole track.

Simply do effect, noise removal, and click the OK button this time. And you're done.
Really useful trick to learn. I've been doing this for awhile myself, but never thought to open up a thread here. Nice job!

Hatss

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Posting for quick access.

Thanks OP

NariahArdour

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think 24 seems like a rather high setting for noise removal, it bothered me a lot so I've been setting mine at 9 noise removal, for a reasonable reduction that doesn't sound robotic, it could maybe go more but, that's what I settled on for the time being.

lossehelin

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i normally go for a value between 10 and 15, usually works quite well. 24 is extreme.