Are short videos better?

AM2PM

Loving YTtalk
I try to keep my videos pretty short. My goal is no longer than 5 minutes and preferably 3 minutes if possible. I have a standard setup for each video. I feel like people are more likely to watch the whole thing if it is short. The content matters the most, and I feel like the content is great. But I also feel like people are more likely to stick around if there isn't a big commitment. Will it affect the bottom line?

I guess once I get more subscribers I can make them a little longer if need be. Just wanted to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

I prefer high quality good content videos. Since I make basketball mixes def something over 2-3 min and up. It keeps the viewer glued and entertained. Short vids also wont leave such a great impact on the viewer if you're looking for a potential subscriber. That's how I look at it

I prefer high quality good content videos. Since I make basketball mixes def something over 2-3 min and up. It keeps the viewer glued and entertained. Short vids also wont leave such a great impact on the viewer if you're looking for a potential subscriber. That's how I look at it
I'm talking about making the video 3 minutes when it could be stretched out to 9 minutes. I'm trying to figure out the sweet spot where the video content is good and the viewer is entertained enough to subscribe and also go and watch my other videos. Thanks.

According to PewDiePie if they're over 10 minutes they're better for getting views and stuff :p I personally try to keep them between 3-8 minutes because I think it's a reasonable amount of time for a video. Some go a little over or under, but generally for my main channel that is what I aim for, even if it's not the best for getting views on YouTube.. I don't want to create videos that are too long for the sake of it.

I do it on a video by video basis. If you're aiming just for views then there's probably and set length that'll optimize getting views and so on. Personally I make what I wanna watch and I'm not a fan on long videos in general. Either 5-10 minutes or an hour or more so I can treat it like a Podcast!

That song was awesome. I just submitted it to reddit on your behalf. People need to hear it. I can't watch video at work so this is the first time I saw it. Well done. I said you were like Mike Tompkins but with a guitar.

I think you should aim to make all videos as short as possible. The reasoning behind this is that videos should tell a story; to tell that story you need a minimal number of shots/sequences. Anything more than that minimum is likely to bore a portion of your audience. Of course there is artistic integrity, it is your own choice. But I find it a good aiming point. Even if you choose to make it a bit longer that the bare minimum. As long as it is a conscious choice, it is good.

That song was awesome. I just submitted it to reddit on your behalf. People need to hear it. I can't watch video at work so this is the first time I saw it. Well done. I said you were like Mike Tompkins but with a guitar.
Ah that is awesome! Thanks so much buddy!

No problem. Didn't get any traction, but it's worth a try. It's better if someone else is submitting your videos so the mods don't get mad.

Back