Are my Vlogs good?

GoldSnoopy

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I want to do some more vlogs but I'm not sure if there are any ways I can improve, feedback would be appreciated!

morelikecappuccino

Be Kind: Please Rewind
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
#1 subjects - Think about what you wana say before you hit record. You can tell REALLLLLY bad that you just picked up the camera and started talking. It does not feel like you are talking to us or trying to share anything. It feels more like you have a 24hr webcam on and I just tuned in. (( Unless thats what you were going for? ))

#2 Saturation - This is probably the 2nd most saturated type of video on youtube. Losing only to gaming. So even triple A quality vlogs will get little attention until the right person sees it.
>>ALSO though it is flattering to have people interested in your life and watch your daily activities and small accomplishments of nothing. Understand that most of the popular vloggers did SOMETHING that made people interested in them. Other wise these are basically just long facebook posts "...Its hot here in the dessert. I am sweating" I know if i posted that id probably get one sarcastic like.

#3 Time and Fat - There is alot of pointless rambles that can be cut out of this video. Alot of over-extended clips of just the cars literally driving in front of you. I dont need to see the whole trip to understand you drove very far.

#4 Goal - What is your goal? Just to have people tune in and see what your up too? Again thats not going to work very well without actually doing something ( *Accidently becoming a meme - making a terrible video (rebecca black) date a celeb. ect ect ) Most of these style of channels have some sort of goal - either to share extremely motivating thoughts - or a progression "build along" style, where something is being built or put together. A club or a tree house or both.

I think you could do to spend more time thinking about what you want to do with the video itself and with the channel. Also can you go back and sit through all 20 minutes of your video without skipping anything? Neither can I.
Though this video does become a good personal diary, or personal video log.

Other thoughts:
You could play a drinking game with everytime you touch your face or rub your head. ( nervous reflex? )
Keep at it!

Reactions: ThumbMuscles

ProjectJamesify

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Audio quality is fair, video quality is actually pretty solid, but perhaps you could shake the camera around a little bit less.

Try and keep more pace in your videos and include a more solid subject. Other than that, great going mate!

ThumbMuscles

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I love the "on the go" style. I love the music choice. I love the video quality and the audio quality (very good for mobile recording, not everyone can tame a DSLR like Casey ;).

A couple things you can work on:
  • Pacing - some of the clips from the car out the window were drawn on a little longer than they needed to be
  • Commentary - Don't be worried about what others think of you, talk confidently and with purpose no matter what's going on around you. This is what makes Casey Neistat great. He's in the middle of NYC with chaos all around and people staring but you wouldn't be able to tell. You're captivated by what he's saying because he has a purpose.
  • Length - this is something I've struggled with myself. Although under 20 minutes, it's tough to keep someone's attention for 17 minutes, especially when there are areas that move more slowly. It's tough to throw clips away, but sometimes it must be done!
I loved it either way, but I believe that with a few changes you could improve the quality of your vlogs many times over!

Reactions: Bridgette Heidi

BettinaStaana

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I enjoyed your Vlog! Personally I wouldn't put my settings for HD recording that high (is it 60i?) its too "reality TV" style for me, and I think 24 or 30 is okay, but other than that i think your'e doing well. I enjoy Vlogging as well but I dont get that many views, it can be discouraging but as long as you enjoy it right?

JRuncie

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've always appreciated the honesty in this forum, its helped me a ton so I'll offer some.

Good points: on the go makes for a more interesting vlog than I sat in the house all day.

areas to work on:

1. Length: 17 minutes is excessive. Tips on ways to trim. Cut, leave it for an hour come back and cut again.

2. Flow- There is a term in film making called "killing the baby." It refers to the idea that you have one clip that you absolutely love, but it either kills the rest of the flow or upstages the rest too much. Look for these and try to allow things to move.

3. Audio- I found some of it was hard to hear.. note... mine is the same way. Its difficult if you havnt purchased a mic and are standing outside, or the mic is not properly positioned.

Overall, great start keep working on it. I've only been doing this for a month, but I've learned a ton and feel my content and video quality is starting to reflect an improved knowledge on my end. Hopefully you'll find you can look back in 4-6 weeks and feel the same way.

GoldSnoopy

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I enjoyed your Vlog! Personally I wouldn't put my settings for HD recording that high (is it 60i?) its too "reality TV" style for me, and I think 24 or 30 is okay, but other than that i think your'e doing well. I enjoy Vlogging as well but I dont get that many views, it can be discouraging but as long as you enjoy it right?
Wow! Coming from you that is awesome! Your channel has over a thousand subscribers, and Japan looks sooo cool. Thanks for the motivation and keep up the great videos![DOUBLEPOST=1477539795,1477539739][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've always appreciated the honesty in this forum, its helped me a ton so I'll offer some.

Good points: on the go makes for a more interesting vlog than I sat in the house all day.

areas to work on:

1. Length: 17 minutes is excessive. Tips on ways to trim. Cut, leave it for an hour come back and cut again.

2. Flow- There is a term in film making called "killing the baby." It refers to the idea that you have one clip that you absolutely love, but it either kills the rest of the flow or upstages the rest too much. Look for these and try to allow things to move.

3. Audio- I found some of it was hard to hear.. note... mine is the same way. Its difficult if you havnt purchased a mic and are standing outside, or the mic is not properly positioned.

Overall, great start keep working on it. I've only been doing this for a month, but I've learned a ton and feel my content and video quality is starting to reflect an improved knowledge on my end. Hopefully you'll find you can look back in 4-6 weeks and feel the same way.
I don't have an external microphone, I will work on getting one in the future since I really enjoy vlogging but my channel doesn't get a lot of views compared to others. Thanks for the advice

JRuncie

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Wow! Coming from you that is awesome! Your channel has over a thousand subscribers, and Japan looks sooo cool. Thanks for the motivation and keep up the great videos![DOUBLEPOST=1477539795,1477539739][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't have an external microphone, I will work on getting one in the future since I really enjoy vlogging but my channel doesn't get a lot of views compared to others. Thanks for the advice
Hey, we struggle with sound as well. Views are great, but if you check out our channel we're averaging about 60 views a day. Its not alot in comparison to say Neistat. That being said when we started 5 weeks ago we were averaging 7 views. Just keep working on your craft. Subs, and views will come as you learn.