Anybody got a growing educational / tutorial channel?

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi there,

I would love to hear from somebody who has a growing educational / "how to" channel.

My channel is all about marketing tips and I would love to connect with somebody running a channel that educates their audience too. (in any subject really)

I am a newbie on week 8 of my YouTube journey with 54 subs and would to get advice around growing this specific type of channel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Darren

Reactions: Ocean Chan

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thats great you have started your channel on marketing! Your channel is growing quick.

I run a freediving channel - all my videos are split into two categories.
Half are dive showcases of local sites
Whilst the other half a tutorials and tips on ocean safety
I mix it up otherwise it would get boring for the viewers.

Reactions: Darren Taylor

Chandler

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
My other channel is about playing guitar and making music. The best tip I can give you is either 1). Go with trends and try to be faster than everyone else or 2). Be unique and do something nobody else in you field does.

I’ve made some videos that are reactions to new movies and they got me more views. Trendy things let you get veiws off of other people’s videos even if you aren’t big, but you have to do it before things get over saturated.

On the other hand I’ve done some unique content that nobody else has done on Youtube and so when people search for it my video is at the top of the list.

If you’re video isn’t doing one of those I’ve found my videos don’t get many veiws from YouTube. Another thing that might help is getting an audience somewhere else such as a forum, facebook, etc.

Reactions: Darren Taylor

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thats great you have started your channel on marketing! Your channel is growing quick.

I run a freediving channel - all my videos are split into two categories.
Half are dive showcases of local sites
Whilst the other half a tutorials and tips on ocean safety
I mix it up otherwise it would get boring for the viewers.
Thanks for the tip! I'll look at adding interesting insights and opinion as opposed to just tutorials.

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My other channel is about playing guitar and making music. The best tip I can give you is either 1). Go with trends and try to be faster than everyone else or 2). Be unique and do something nobody else in you field does.

I’ve made some videos that are reactions to new movies and they got me more views. Trendy things let you get veiws off of other people’s videos even if you aren’t big, but you have to do it before things get over saturated.

On the other hand I’ve done some unique content that nobody else has done on Youtube and so when people search for it my video is at the top of the list.

If you’re video isn’t doing one of those I’ve found my videos don’t get many veiws from YouTube. Another thing that might help is getting an audience somewhere else such as a forum, facebook, etc.
Thanks for the insight. Uniqueness is going to be key to me it seems. I'll need to look at new angles to make sure I stand out. Thanks for the tip!

Pixel & Bracket

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
I have a milestone thread that I keep adding on to since I first hit 50 subs. I’ll be adding another post within a month here as I hit 5000, but ya I basically do Adobe tutorials on my channel as well as other creative content

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have a milestone thread that I keep adding on to since I first hit 50 subs. I’ll be adding another post within a month here as I hit 5000, but ya I basically do Adobe tutorials on my channel as well as other creative content
Awesome, I'll be checking out your channel with interest. What would you say your primary source of growth was? Particularly in the beginning.

Pixel & Bracket

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Your thumbnails are recognizable, that’s great. You just need more content. Also, I can’t stand channels that don’t show sub count. There’s just something dishonest feeling about it. I would rather see someone making great content who is genuine and just owns the fact that they’re small but determined to grow.

But back to my first point, more content = more discovery. More content = more reasons to subscribe. See where I’m going?

Just keep grinding, if you’re consistent and providing value the growth will come. I did not hit 100 subscribers for nearly the first year. Now the second year I have enough videos out there that people are really starting to find my channel, and they’re finding it with tons of content to dig through. The most “viral” video on my channel was around my 250th video. It takes patience, but if you remain steadfast and provide value the growth becomes ever so slightly exponential over time.

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Your thumbnails are recognizable, that’s great. You just need more content. Also, I can’t stand channels that don’t show sub count. There’s just something dishonest feeling about it. I would rather see someone making great content who is genuine and just owns the fact that they’re small but determined to grow.

But back to my first point, more content = more discovery. More content = more reasons to subscribe. See where I’m going?

Just keep grinding, if you’re consistent and providing value the growth will come. I did not hit 100 subscribers for nearly the first year. Now the second year I have enough videos out there that people are really starting to find my channel, and they’re finding it with tons of content to dig through. The most “viral” video on my channel was around my 250th video. It takes patience, but if you remain steadfast and provide value the growth becomes ever so slightly exponential over time.
Thanks so much for this advice! I was unsure about hiding sub count, and you've confirmed to me that I shouldn't. If you think that it doesn't look honest, others will too! I am currently at 55 subs and thought that it was too few and it may discourage people.

Creating more content sounds like the way forward for me. I am currently doing 2 videos a week or so, so maybe I can see if I can find a way to make that 3 videos. Your story has really inspired me as I have only been doing this for 8 weeks, I shouldn't complain about having only 55 subs :D

Thanks again!

Darren