Am I on The Right Track?

Sladee

Loving YTtalk
So I posted a thread earlier about combining gaming and lifestyle video, but I decided to go all in and dive into the lifestyle/IRL side of YouTube. I plan to add Outdoor Vlog's to my videos soon as to add to my own editing style. However, I would like to know if im on the right track, as i've never done a video like this before so I don't know if im doing the right thing. If you could please check my channel and leave some advice here on YTtalk. Thanks for all your help guys, every opinion matters! :)

I've been using my phone lol I said it in the 1st 30 seconds of the video. Im buying a camera soon. Im just talking about the content.
Dude, so the content is great, you have an awesome personality on camera, but that quality...yikes. In this day and age where EVERYONE ha a phone that films at least 1080p not many people are going to stick through a video that looks like that (unfortunately, because you have great charisma) I know u said it was on your phone but if you look at my vlogs, everything I do is also on my phone and its incredible. were you using your front facing camera? If so, switch that s**t around and use the rear camera, also try and get to some better, brighter lighting, It will help a lot with your phones auto exposure balancing and eliminate a lot of that noise (visual noise). hope that helps, But yah, I think if you fix that up you will be golden as your personality really shines through on that video.

Dude, so the content is great, you have an awesome personality on camera, but that quality...yikes. In this day and age where EVERYONE ha a phone that films at least 1080p not many people are going to stick through a video that looks like that (unfortunately, because you have great charisma) I know u said it was on your phone but if you look at my vlogs, everything I do is also on my phone and its incredible. were you using your front facing camera? If so, switch that s**t around and use the rear camera, also try and get to some better, brighter lighting, It will help a lot with your phones auto exposure balancing and eliminate a lot of that noise (visual noise). hope that helps, But yah, I think if you fix that up you will be golden as your personality really shines through on that video.
That's some great feedback! Thanks for the compliments, and yea ill be sure to use my rear facing camera, i've been using my window for lighting, is there a cheap method you would recommend that would get me decent lighting? Like how many soft-boxes would I need realistically? and could I use something to redirect the light from the first soft-box so it give the illusion of two?

That's some great feedback! Thanks for the compliments, and yea ill be sure to use my rear facing camera, i've been using my window for lighting, is there a cheap method you would recommend that would get me decent lighting? Like how many soft-boxes would I need realistically? and could I use something to redirect the light from the first soft-box so it give the illusion of two?

Ok awesome, you will notice the rear facing camera will give you a better picture. If you want professional lighting like you see in a lot of beauty and makeup vlogs, you will need a ringlight for in front of you and 2 softboxes for either side of you plus 1 or 2 to light the room behind you. I wouldnt say the last 2 are needed but it lights everything nice. I wouldnt recommend trying to bounce one of the softboxes to give the illusion of 2 as you will loose a LOT of light power, and unless u spent an arm and a leg on lights, you will never have that much power. Check out amazon for some of their cheeper lighting kits. I currently am not using any lights lol but i am just vlogging at the moment. However if you go back in the videos a bit, Amy has some sit down videos where 2 Lowel pros were used with the umbrellas they came with.

Ok awesome, you will notice the rear facing camera will give you a better picture. If you want professional lighting like you see in a lot of beauty and makeup vlogs, you will need a ringlight for in front of you and 2 softboxes for either side of you plus 1 or 2 to light the room behind you. I wouldnt say the last 2 are needed but it lights everything nice. I wouldnt recommend trying to bounce one of the softboxes to give the illusion of 2 as you will loose a LOT of light power, and unless u spent an arm and a leg on lights, you will never have that much power. Check out amazon for some of their cheeper lighting kits. I currently am not using any lights lol but i am just vlogging at the moment. However if you go back in the videos a bit, Amy has some sit down videos where 2 Lowel pros were used with the umbrellas they came with.

Yea thanks for the advice, for the time being ill buy two soft boxes and continue to use the window light for direct forward lighting. And will a standing lamp in the background be good enough to provide a decent background? I don't want the background too lit, just not really dark.

Yea thanks for the advice, for the time being ill buy two soft boxes and continue to use the window light for direct forward lighting. And will a standing lamp in the background be good enough to provide a decent background? I don't want the background too lit, just not really dark.
That sounds like a perfect starting point! :) Make sure you get les lights and not warmer inconsistent bulbs as it will throw an annoying color cast if you are using them in conjunction with your window, try and get bulbs that are balanced for daytime light so you domt have mixed lighting ;)

Back