Reaction score
We started our channel about a month ago, we are basically a kid/family focused channel. we have 11 videos and we have used google AdWords to promote some of them. Our target audience is kids/parents and on a couple of our video campaigns we have received more dislikes then likes on two of the videos. We're looking for advice on how to narrow down our settings to reach our target audience. Also should we put our videos in a catergory on campaign settings and if so, which one?

Any other tips and advice are greatly appreciated :)

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Congratulations on starting the journey! Don't worry about the dislike ratio, the correlation to video success is very very small. It exists, but is way down there. You likely got dislikes not because people did not like the video, but because it may not have met their expectations, especially when served as an ad. People are quite invested when they click on an ad, so their expectations are higher. Only send your best videos out as ads. Ex: Your video with 14k views Bubble Bath - I got really dizzy watching it, the camera wobbles way too much. You need to tripod it, or stabilize in other ways.

We've discussed Adwords setting on this forum ad nauseum in the past, especially as they relate to kids channels. You can search for my username, or FamilyToyReview, KidsCorner, and a few others. The settings you are after, and how to setup campaigns, are in there.

6StringMadMan

I've Got It
Reaction score
In terms of the dislikes, from what I've seen with kid channels it's normal to get a ton of dislikes. I think it's probably bored teenagers who have nothing better to do with their time. Just take a look at LittleBabyBum's Wheels on the Bus video. It has close to 2 billion views and the like to dislikes ratio are relatively the same with 1,516,925 likes and 1,130,378 dislikes.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies :)

@KiddieToysReview

I agree with you about the shakiness and quality of the bubble vid.. at that point we was using a dslr camera and now have switched to smart phone as it makes filming much easier and the quality drop is not huge. We need to test our ad campaigns more in the future I was thinking it would be worth relating the ad's to only show on certain channels seeing as our target audience is mainly kids under 5.

I had a read through your postings and could see that you mentioned that advertising has helped your channel, when did you start advertising? because part of me thinks it's a bit too early to be advertising as we don't have many videos but on the contrary we wanted a small boost to get some subs so people could watch our videos.

@6StringMadMan

thanks, that's what my thoughts were originally! we noticed the same dislike ration on some of Ryan toyreviews videos

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the replies :)

@KiddieToysReview

I agree with you about the shakiness and quality of the bubble vid.. at that point we was using a dslr camera and now have switched to smart phone as it makes filming much easier and the quality drop is not huge. We need to test our ad campaigns more in the future I was thinking it would be worth relating the ad's to only show on certain channels seeing as our target audience is mainly kids under 5.

I had a read through your postings and could see that you mentioned that advertising has helped your channel, when did you start advertising? because part of me thinks it's a bit too early to be advertising as we don't have many videos but on the contrary we wanted a small boost to get some subs so people could watch our videos.

@6StringMadMan

thanks, that's what my thoughts were originally! we noticed the same dislike ration on some of Ryan toyreviews videos
If going with adwords, I would suggest at least 20 videos. That gives you enough time to learn video craft (so the videos you advertise are great quality), get the thumbnails and channel art spot on (so there's a coherent message), the video tight (so there's no 'dead' space and no reason to click off), and enough elements to make it worthwhile (such as cards, end screens and playlists). Adwords works best when there are things to click through to (Earned views) after they watch your video, hence those elements should all be in place first

Reaction score
If going with adwords, I would suggest at least 20 videos. That gives you enough time to learn video craft (so the videos you advertise are great quality), get the thumbnails and channel art spot on (so there's a coherent message), the video tight (so there's no 'dead' space and no reason to click off), and enough elements to make it worthwhile (such as cards, end screens and playlists). Adwords works best when there are things to click through to (Earned views) after they watch your video, hence those elements should all be in place first

I actually do the editing and help out with the filming occasionally. My sister who's the mum to Milano and Lela generally buys the toys and does most of the filming.

She has less patience than me so wanted to advertise to get the word out there so to speak. I was hesitant at first but thought hey what the hell, It can't hurt. I wanted to fill the channel up first with a good amount of videos which is what we are going to do now.

Really appreciate you taking the time to share your opinions and the advice you have given, Its a great help

Subbed to your channel so Milano and Lela will be seeing a lot more of your videos :)

btw is that a South African accent ;)

p.s we do have end screens.. generally 4 vids and a subscribe option. also the branding icon running through the video as another sub option

Derrick Toys

Happy Kids Happy Life!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I just started looking into adwords also. I read it does help boost new channels but ofcourse could be costly. Something I'll look into soon!

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
btw is that a South African accent ;)

p.s we do have end screens.. generally 4 vids and a subscribe option. also the branding icon running through the video as another sub option
We're in Australia!

for End Screens, they recommend no more than 3 things - top left suggested by Yt, bottom left your latest upload, then a centre subscribe. When viewers are given too much choice, they don't click apparently. Also playlists in end screens get low results, viewers don't want to commit to "44 videos". Anyways, that's what is recommended.

Derrick Toys

Happy Kids Happy Life!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
So many rules! perhaps the secret all along is to create your "gateway" videos as RTR and I discussed a few months ago on this forum.