3 Questions About Monetizing

Unknown_User0002

1. How do you go about claiming Let's Plays? I know there is a right way of doing it and a wrong way of doing it. But I wanted to be sure I was claiming them right. I claim Audio Only on mine.

2. I've seen a few Let's Players with their videos without commentary and they play through the whole game and all of their videos with ads on them. But just in case. If I upload a Let's Play with a intro saying that it's a Let's Play without commentary and telling people to buy/check out the game, Do you think that would be okay? because your voice is in it and you are stating that it is a no commentary Let's Play.

3. What are the rules about Let's Playing a newly released game? lets say Tomb Raider or the new BioShock that is coming out.

I hope to find a answer to this and maybe this could help someone else down the road.

well what exactly do you mean by "claiming" a let's play? do you mean what you should call your video when you are uploading it?

All depends on who it is. Technically, anyone can claim an infringement against you because you don't possess license(s). I know Squaresoft is one of the Creators that will get your adsense banned, My best YT friend got caught up in a mess with them. In all honesty, I would just make videos and do my best to get noticed and THEN monetize when I have a network partnership. I've NEVER made an LP, I don't know everything about it. I mean, if you're muting all audio from the game, you can claim audio. I got a video on my last channel denied for Monetization because my text tone went off (it was the tobuscus intro sound), yes youtube is THAT anal about it.

If you have permission from the developer to monetize the game footage, like mojang does, it's fine. If you monetize gameplay footage without developer permission, well, that's illegal. :p

Just send an email to the developer and see if you can get permission, otherwise you'll just be doing the series as a hobby. It's a grey area at times, but the developer permission issue is pretty simple. Hope I helped!

Cheers :)

Yes, I do. I'm a RPM Partner. I don't have my banner up just yet though. Doesn't RPM have the okay from a few developers to allow this?
Coming from a non-partner, I would think talking to your partner manager and requesting a list of "OK'ed" titles would be your best move. I can't wait to get a partnership

Back