Yahoo now officially is blocking AdBlock, Google are you in?

I think I would be ok with subbing to Youtube Red once it becomes available in the UK. The chance to support the channels I watch without having to watch, sometimes lengthy ads, would be great.

I'd argue that it's selfish to applaud a move I consider anti-consumer.

Websites provide content for consumers to enjoy. Advertisers shoulder the cost of that free content.

It's like somebody jumping the fence at Disneyland to get free rides. There is a cost and somebody has to pay for it.

It's like people who sit in a café and sit there all day eating their own food and asking for a free glass of water. They then use the toilets before leaving. They're just creating costs without generating any revenue. The café (and the other customers) are much better off without them.

It's pretty hilarious that adblock users threaten to boycott sites that prevent them from using adblock. Ermm, that's exactly what the websites want. "Boycotting" only works if the boycotters actually contribute to the costs lol. SMH.

this would help YouTubers not be broke, as it would shatter their careers if everyone used ad block on YouTube. I mean, look at pewdiepie, he is basically dependent on YouTube, he needs the money, it is his job.

How do you think Yahoo pays for their servers and bandwidth?
I am aware that advertising keeps the internet ticking. I'm saying it's bad for the consumer to try and block their choice of whether to view advertising or not.

lol are you trolling? The only people being "selfish" and naive are the users who think that Yahoo and Google are charities and that they expect to get a free service without any ad
You seem to be making assumptions about what adblock users think and why they block ads.

Websites cost money. They need to be financed either though ads or through paid subscriptions. Currently the service is free with ads so if people block ads, then Yahoo loses money and will stop providing the service. This is basic economics.
I'm not disputing that, or saying that they are not within their rights to detect and block adblock users if they wish.

I'm very confused by your post. your position is clearly someone who is against ads. That is your perogative of course. But if you are so against ads, why are there ads on your videos? That seems very hypocritical and "selfish" don't you think?
I'm not against adverts, I'm against anything that goes against the interests of the user. Advertising is not against the interests of the consumer, trying to stop those that do not wish to view advertising is. I thought carefully about enabling adverts on my videos; I came to the conclusion that if someone was really bothered by them they could block or ignore them.

I'm saying it's bad for the consumer to try and block their choice of whether to view advertising or not.

Eh?

It's not bad for the consumer. By preventing users from blocking ads, the website can afford to provide the consumer with the service in the first place.

The person blocking ads is the one bad for the consumer because they are generating costs without generating income. This makes it impossible for the service to exist. The website therefore can no longer provide the consumer with the service.

I'm not against adverts, I'm against anything that goes against the interests of the user. Advertising is not against the interests of the consumer, trying to stop those that do not wish to view advertising is. I thought carefully about enabling adverts on my videos; I came to the conclusion that if someone was really bothered by them they could block or ignore them.

lol, did you really type that out? You want ads on your content, but not anywhere else. Awesome. :up:

Your opinion kind of loses any remaining credibility with that last paragraph lol wow....SMH

lol, did you really type that out? You want ads on your content, but not anywhere else. Awesome. :up:

Your opinion kind of loses any remaining credibility with that last paragraph lol wow....SMH
I did not say that at all. You are misinterpreting what I'm writing, hopefully not on purpose. Reread what I wrote.

I did not say that at all. You are misinterpreting what I'm writing, hopefully not on purpose. Reread what I wrote.

You're arguing for the "right" for consumers to not view ads (some sort of "Human rights" thing?) - Nobody is forcing consumers to view ads. There are plenty of choices. Here are some choices for you:

Yahoo Mail
1)Use Yahoo mail's free service and contribute to the costs by viewing ads.
2)If you don't like ads, don't use Yahoo mail's free service. It's not rocket science. Use a paid service without ads. Pay for your own server. No ads there.

YouTube
1)Use YouTube and contribute to the costs by viewing ads.
2)Use YouTube and contribute to the costs by paying for YouTube Red.
3) If you don't like ads and you don't want to pay for YouTube Red, then no problem, stop using YouTube. Also stop making videos with monetization enabled if you are so against ads. To do otherwise makes you a hypocrite.

It's really simple. But don't expect free content or a free service without ads. No such thing as a free lunch.

Back