Why do you take SEO advice???

PrettyKeli

PrettyKeli
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So I was mistaken. When I was talking about not knowing what people typed in for search terms, I mixed up the YouTube search results and Google.com search results. You can't see what people searched for when they came from Google. So yes, you can go through and see how people found your video through typing in search results.

In my case, most of my views come from Suggested Videos. Most of the views I get from search was people typing in stuff that I already have in my tags, or they were looking specifically for my video.

Regarding video length, I don't think an average view time of 1:30 on a 20-minute video is worse for your ranking than on a 2-minute video. I don't think it is the percentage of the video that counts, but the minutes watched, and a longer video has more potential for more minutes watched. Do your experiences conflict with this?

Lastly, the more experienced YouTubers usually give sound advice that probably seems counter-intuitive to most people because they don't understand how the system really works. It is also more vague because it requires the channel owner to tailor it to work for their content type, which means it requires more work for the channel owner. The advice from their peers (being those with similarly-small channels) is usually easier to follow and makes sense at first glance because it fits with their current knowledge. It is human nature to sort through suggestions and advice until one finds one they can do with minimal work and/or like the sound of.
Makes a lot of sense, I genuinely thank you. You're one of my new favorite people on here ^_^

I got what you was saying now. Yeah, I never try to rank in google search because people who usually search for things in google are looking to read something, they aren't usually interested in watching a video. So I make sure to target youtube search always and only by using keywords that people usually search for when looking for a video.

I'm going to explain how it's worst. Let's take you for an example. You and Jim make a video with the same exact topic. You both know seo and apply it properly.
He has a 10 minute video that has an average of 5min watch time
You have a video that is 10 minutes long with an average of 1:30 watch time.

Who do you think will rank higher in search? He will!

Different videos same scenario:

You have a 2 minute video that gets watched for 1:30 avg
He has a 3 minute video that gets watched for 1:30 avg

Who do you think will rank higher in search? You will!

So audience retention does matter, you always want to take into consideration your average viewer watch time duration. Hope this helps

Reactions: Idec Sdawkminn

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
You have a video that is 10 minutes long with an average of 1:30 watch time.

Who do you think will rank higher in search? He will!

Different videos same scenario:

You have a 2 minute video that gets watched for 1:30 avg
He has a 3 minute video that gets watched for 1:30 avg

Who do you think will rank higher in search? You will!
In the first scenario I agree that Jim will rank higher because his watch time is more. But in the second one I'd think that the algorithm would assign the same rating (at least the part that comes from watch time). I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sold on it because it conflicts with what I understood. But it has prompted me to research it! Where are you getting this information from?

PrettyKeli

PrettyKeli
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In the first scenario I agree that Jim will rank higher because his watch time is more. But in the second one I'd think that the algorithm would assign the same rating (at least the part that comes from watch time). I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sold on it because it conflicts with what I understood. But it has prompted me to research it! Where are you getting this information from?
From implementation, results, my analytics and any and everyone who I gave the tips to that actually applied it. lol

I'm shocked that even you would doubt something because of what you was previously told. What I'm trying to get people to understand is, it doesn't matter what you was told, what works? Did it work? no? so then why stand by it like it's law? you see where I'm coming from?

I wouldn't benefit from giving you false information. Why do people take the opinions from people who aren't ranking over facts from people who are? It just makes me want to give up trying to help people. No offense to you, just wanted to express my frustration with the whole thing.

There are times I really consider coming on these forums and BLOWING people away with information to help them. The problem is, I know a majority won't listen, some won't think it's true, others wont apply it, and a couple will argue with me. So, why do it? I'm really starting to figure out people only appreciate information when it costs, when it's free? They pick and choose what to take and it's nuts.

I used to always hate the fact that big youtubers never wanted to help smaller youtubers and I said when I got big I would reach out and help because I felt that was wrong. Now? I understand clearly why they don't. People don't want help. I'm learning and it's disheartening

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Well, I for one am skeptical of everything anyone says at face value. I can see how many subscribers you have and how successful your channel is and it gives a lot of credit to the things you say. But I don't know if your videos rank because of the length or of other factors. It would be entirely possible that you are doing everything right and are mistaken on the video length part. (I'm not saying that's the case, but it's not something I could just rule out based on nothing) Your videos could still rank well even with that one part off. I'm not saying I think you are wrong. I'm saying that I'm not going to believe everything I hear just because it comes from someone who has done it well. That's not to say I would think you were intentionally trying to give bad information. I just didn't know how much you actually tested each part of SEO out. Now that you listed how you found it out, I have more reason to trust your information. The only reason I thought what I did about the video length was because I read it from a site that tested these things on multiple channels with lots of views.

So, not to say that you are wrong, but just because someone is really good at football doesn't mean they are good at coaching it.

And I can usually tell when someone is meaning offense and you obviously aren't, so don't worry about that. I also hardly ever take offense even when I know someone means it. I'm more worried about people taking offense from me and I never mean to give it. I'm glad that you like what I have to say. I get the feeling that a lot of people on here don't.

Reactions: PrettyKeli

PrettyKeli

PrettyKeli
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well, I for one am skeptical of everything anyone says at face value. I can see how many subscribers you have and how successful your channel is and it gives a lot of credit to the things you say. But I don't know if your videos rank because of the length or of other factors. It would be entirely possible that you are doing everything right and are mistaken on the video length part. (I'm not saying that's the case, but it's not something I could just rule out based on nothing) Your videos could still rank well even with that one part off. I'm not saying I think you are wrong. I'm saying that I'm not going to believe everything I hear just because it comes from someone who has done it well. That's not to say I would think you were intentionally trying to give bad information. I just didn't know how much you actually tested each part of SEO out. Now that you listed how you found it out, I have more reason to trust your information. The only reason I thought what I did about the video length was because I read it from a site that tested these things on multiple channels with lots of views.

So, not to say that you are wrong, but just because someone is really good at football doesn't mean they are good at coaching it.

And I can usually tell when someone is meaning offense and you obviously aren't, so don't worry about that. I also hardly ever take offense even when I know someone means it. I'm more worried about people taking offense from me and I never mean to give it. I'm glad that you like what I have to say. I get the feeling that a lot of people on here don't.

Yeah we are in the same boat lol people don't like what I have to say because it's so far from what they are used to, or maybe I'm just not a likable person in text form :( lol

I tested many things out individually and what I've discovered is, the more you do right? The more staying power and higher you will rank in search. So not everything has to be done to show up on the first page, but the amount you do will determine where you rank and how long you stay.

I'd love to take someone on here and teach them SEO thoroughly to prove what I know works. Eventually I will. You're awesome though, thank you for all of your time. Stay in touch

AM2PM

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
This is a wacky thread! I think people mistake SEO and the YouTube algorithm. You should follow SEO to help your videos have a chance to show up in search results. But there is a whole black box of Google magic that happens behind the scenes that matter when it comes to getting your videos viewed by real people. You should tag your videos and title and describe them they way pretty much everyone tells you to on this site. If you do that, it isn't bad. But if you do that and your video is garbage, or the thumbnail stinks, or no one shares it, or you fail to promote it in the right way, SEO won't help you one bit. Google has gotten much smarter with delivering content that corresponds to what actual people are searching for. It's what they do. People used to use SEO on websites and could use tricks to get to the #1 spot on search results, but the content was crap and just a way to get ad revenue. Google realized that it wasn't serving their clients (Advertisers) or their audience, so they changed it. The same is true with YouTube. You might have no SEO and people share your video and view it like crazy, Google and YouTube are smart enough to find it and serve it to people.

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
GREAT advice on starting the SEO Don'ts guide! The only problem is? I believe people will not believe it and not apply it which equates to me wasting my time.

Over the years I have also learned that for the most part people don't respect free knowledge.

i am confused, you started this thread saying that people are giving out bad information on this forum and that other people are believing and using this wrong information, right? then when someone suggests you create your own guide on here. you say people won't believe it and you will be wasting your time? i am so confused lol. why not try to help the people that are using all this bad advice by correcting it with your own thread?

i know in your previous thread you were asking how much people would pay for your SEO knowledge so maybe thats why you won't but i would see it as a great advertising tool for what you want to do, share some of your SEO knowledge, show people what you know is worth something and those people will be much more likely to want to pay for more of that knowledge

PrettyKeli

PrettyKeli
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is a wacky thread! I think people mistake SEO and the YouTube algorithm. You should follow SEO to help your videos have a chance to show up in search results. But there is a whole black box of Google magic that happens behind the scenes that matter when it comes to getting your videos viewed by real people. You should tag your videos and title and describe them they way pretty much everyone tells you to on this site. If you do that, it isn't bad. But if you do that and your video is garbage, or the thumbnail stinks, or no one shares it, or you fail to promote it in the right way, SEO won't help you one bit. Google has gotten much smarter with delivering content that corresponds to what actual people are searching for. It's what they do. People used to use SEO on websites and could use tricks to get to the #1 spot on search results, but the content was crap and just a way to get ad revenue. Google realized that it wasn't serving their clients (Advertisers) or their audience, so they changed it. The same is true with YouTube. You might have no SEO and people share your video and view it like crazy, Google and YouTube are smart enough to find it and serve it to people.
First and foremost tags are pretty much irrelevant at this point and almost ALL advice given in this forum on tags is garbage. If you completely Search engine optimize your videos before, during, and after you are GUARANTEED to show up in search. Even with crap thumbnails, production etc. there is TONS of proof of that all throughout YouTube's search engine. Clearly understanding SEO and implementing it will guarantee anyone a secured spot, but people don't and therefor they don't rank. It's really that simple, everyone just tries to complicate it with reasons that are beyond me.

Google / YouTube only knows your content is relevant based on what the spiders grab that crawl your content as a whole. Therefor what you tell them is what will be! Which is why your SEO must cover everything before, during, and after with NO tricks, gimmicks or games. The spiders can't watch your content and say "my my the sound sucks" or "what a trash thumbnail". You can control EXACTLY how the spiders PERCEIVE (perception being everything) your content, and therefor control how you rank.

I've helped numerous people EASILY go from having their content show up on the top of page 45 in the search engine for their keyword to PAGE 1 at spots #1-5.

All you have to do is know what you're doing and stop taking advice from people who don't, simple.

AM2PM

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
First and foremost tags are pretty much irrelevant at this point and almost ALL advice given in this forum on tags is garbage. If you completely Search engine optimize your videos before, during, and after you are GUARANTEED to show up in search. Even with crap thumbnails, production etc. there is TONS of proof of that all throughout YouTube's search engine. Clearly understanding SEO and implementing it will guarantee anyone a secured spot, but people don't and therefor they don't rank. It's really that simple, everyone just tries to complicate it with reasons that are beyond me.

Google / YouTube only knows your content is relevant based on what the spiders grab that crawl your content as a whole. Therefor what you tell them is what will be! Which is why your SEO must cover everything before, during, and after with NO tricks, gimmicks or games. The spiders can't watch your content and say "my my the sound sucks" or "what a trash thumbnail". You can control EXACTLY how the spiders PERCEIVE (perception being everything) your content, and therefor control how you rank.

I've helped numerous people EASILY go from having their content show up on the top of page 45 in the search engine for their keyword to PAGE 1 at spots #1-5.

All you have to do is know what you're doing and stop taking advice from people who don't, simple.
So is it just Title and description? If we don't use tags, what else is there? Obviously Thumbnails are helpful once you get on a search page. If a thumbnail is interesting, I know it can entice me to click on one video over another.

PrettyKeli

PrettyKeli
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So is it just Title and description? If we don't use tags, what else is there? Obviously Thumbnails are helpful once you get on a search page. If a thumbnail is interesting, I know it can entice me to click on one video over another.
"interesting thumbnail" is a relative term. As long as it causes curiosity? You're set. It can be done in paint instead of photoshop, if it makes the searcher curious, you've done your job. This is something that takes work and research. You don't GUESS what piques your audiences curiosity, you study and research your audience. That's how you make PHENOMENAL thumbnails. So many people are putting in part-time effort expecting full time results but if they really knew what went into being successful on YouTube??? They would quit, TODAY!

No it's not just Title and Description. As I said, SEO is something that is done Before you even create the video, during creation, and after it is already posted. So it is way deeper than a simple title and tags.

I've come to find people don't understand how important LEARNING SEO is and what it can do for your channel. So in OCT I'm going to start a few channels from scratch and rank 1-5 for any and EVERY keyword I desire and gain more views and subs than people who have been working on their channel for YEARS in the same niche with ZERO promotion on my regular channel of the new channels. Then people will truly see the power of REAL SEO.

For the fun of it I was going to rank for Miley cirus, just to prove a point. That wouldn't be very profitable or make much sense for me to do. So with this method, I'm going to blow a lot of minds. Then instead of offering the information for FREE as I've been doing for such a long time to people who don't believe and want to rebut EVERYTHING I say, they can see the results, be astonished that it works, and learn video SEO for the low low price of $9,999. ^_^