Why buy a DSLR over a small compact camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyVlogsTV

I Love YTtalk
I have Nikon CoolPix S9500 and it is a great camera that takes great, top quality(Full HD) videos and photos and it has a 22x optical Zoom and is has a 18 megapixels CMOS image sensor that means the photos and video will be in high resolution.

All the time i record my videos at home with my Nikon CoolPix S9500 on my tripod and it is great and very happy with it. I don't see no reason to get a DSLR over a great small compact camera.

So Why buy a big a** DSLR where you can get a great small compact camera that is more portable to carry around with you than all DSLR's(especially with very big lenses) out there and has good lens inside and is as good taking top quality photos/videos...

Give me reasons why a big DSLR is better than a great small compact camera like Nikon Coolpix S9500?

Last edited:
A DSLR camera is best for recording, WHY? it's HD quality 1080p, and it also has interchangeable lenses so you can focus on the subject and NOT so much the background and things. Your camera is typically used for quick family videos or snapshots, BUT if you want clear & BRIGHT high quality videos, getting a DSLR camera is totally worth it!

-LO. :up2:

Moved this here :)

For the average user who wants just to take the picture or video without having to worry about anything, a compact camera is the way to go. If you want to get into being able to control the image and make it the way you want with pretty much full image control, a DSLR is the way to go.

I prefer to use a DSLR over a compact camera is mainly because you can control everything (at least more than you can with a compact) . You can choose your depth of field, aperture, shutter speed, white balance etc, along with being able to plug in external microphones on some models. You can also change the lens to suit your needs, like a wide angle, or maybe you want to get really close you can use a zoom lens, or for a film look you can use a prime lens. It's really all to do with having control of what you want the image to look like, and with that utilized, can make it look far better than automatic settings on a compact camera. Of course, DSLRs aren't exactly reasonable for going out and about, for that I would choose a compact camera, for vlogging or going somewhere I might drop a heavy camera. It all depends on if you're worried about the look of the image or you just want to get the picture there and then :)

Because depth of field is the sweetest joy next to getting...cake. DSLRs have lately become the standard for filming at first they were just mainly for industry quality photography now since bunch of independent rappers started using them for music videos eeeeveryone loves em. The variety of lenses and DOF is what makes DSLRs special. And quality is beyond better i'm very sure. You can only compare DSLRs with some really expensive camcorders.

Because depth of field is the sweetest joy next to getting...cake. DSLRs have lately become the standard for filming at first they were just mainly for industry quality photography now since bunch of independent rappers started using them for music videos eeeeveryone loves em. The variety of lenses and DOF is what makes DSLRs special. And quality is beyond better i'm very sure. You can only compare DSLRs with some really expensive camcorders.
Not to forget being able to take RAW images :D

DSLRs also have Magic Lantern, and generally the video quality is much higher than a lot of compacts around the same price.
Just FYI, Amount of pixels does not equal quality, my phone has more megapixels in the camera than my DSLR but the pictures are miles different.

Well without going too technical, I would say it depends of what you want as well!

If you are happy with an entry level camera, if that kind of quality is enough for you...then that's very good! Keep it up!

When you will start to care more about the image quality and try to get a certain look and when you will get more knowledge about cameras and their price, you will understand why most people use DSLR.

But for now good luck with your compact one!

A DSLR camera is best for recording, WHY? it's HD quality 1080p, and it also has interchangeable lenses so you can focus on the subject and NOT so much the background and things. Your camera is typically used for quick family videos or snapshots, BUT if you want clear & BRIGHT high quality videos, getting a DSLR camera is totally worth it!

-LO. :up2:
Well, yes and no. Some compacts have better quality than some DSLRs, etc etc. Dslrs are also more of a pain than the average point and shoot, it all depends on the type of content you make. As for "best", don't forget they have cameras like the RED, Arri, BMPCC etc :3

Well, yes and no. Some compacts have better quality than some DSLRs, etc etc. Dslrs are also more of a pain than the average point and shoot, it all depends on the type of content you make. As for "best", don't forget they have cameras like the RED, Arri, BMPCC etc :3

...I would still prefer a DSLR camera, as I use it mainly for good focus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back