Why Are People Pretending the Rules Don't Apply to Them?

In my view the rules apply to everyone, nobody is excluded from the rules on YT. Because, at the end of the day we don't own the site. We are the everyday users using their video sharing service. 1 sub or 1 million subs, should make no difference when it comes to the rules in my opinion.

That's a point that I make all the time. Nobody is paying YouTube to use their platform or their bandwidth or their servers. Nobody has a legally binding contract to keep their channel up. YouTube is a private company that can make whatever rules they want, limited only by the law, and absolutely every content creator on the site agreed to follow the rules when they signed up for an account. So where do people get off thinking they get to dictate what YouTube does? I just don't get it.[DOUBLEPOST=1523032650,1523032554][/DOUBLEPOST]
Amen to that!

However there are times when YouTube actually gets it wrong, and someone is excluded from the site erroneously, after a failed appeal. Those times are rare; thankfully.

I don't think it's that rare unfortunately, especially since we know that YouTube and parent company Google are actively discriminating against some content creators based on their political ideology. We are seeing tons of creators getting shadow banned, demonetized and booted off the platform because they say something that Google's political ideology doesn't like.

They have a right to do it. It's just scummy.

Honestly, I don't get it. I run into a ton of people, especially on Reddit, who want to get around the rules on copyright infringement and post things they have no legal right to post on YouTube for money. And when they get a copyright claim or a strike, they scream bloody murder because other people are doing it, why can't they?

What is wrong with these people?

I don't know what's wrong with these people. There are loads of them in the Youtube subreddit though.

I run into a ton of people, especially on Reddit, who want to get around the rules on copyright infringement and post things they have no legal right to post on YouTube

nothing really strange,
it is the results of the "free" everything internet culture of last 10 years or so.
It started with (I have really forgot the name) torrents, sites with "free" software and so.
Free "anything" is based on people's morals and ethics.

:/

nothing really strange,
it is the results of the "free" everything internet culture of last 10 years or so.
It started with (I have really forgot the name) torrents, sites with "free" software and so.
Free "anything" is based on people's morals and ethics.

:/

You nailed it.

It is laziness, expecting something for nothing. That plus never internalizing the concept of (intellectual) property

There's a time I received a 30s clip of an old man well into his 70s dancing vigorously to Despacito. It was hilarious. I tried to share it on Facebook and it was blocked right away. I recall getting mad before I came to my senses; that song with its close to 5B views is somebody's sweat. You don't just walk into another man's sitting room and walk off with the stereo just because you love music systems. Instead you work off your a** and buy yours.

There's a member here who makes good old animations. He said some 30s-1min clips take him weeks to make. And here's a moron who grabs it in under 30s, uploads it in under 60s, and then sits back with a constipated grin across his face, rubbing his filthy hands with glee and he makes money off the creator.

When will we ever start treating intellectual property as real property?

The same whiners would probably hold a very dim view of b&e suspect caught on tape.

Property is property. Period

Back