What makes you so special?

I don't see the problem with being similar to something, unless there's a crapton of it out there. You mentioned minecraft channels. This is an example where I think anymore of this idea is just too much. There's way too many people trying that out there.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't start a gaming channel at all, you can still build something out of it. Pewdiepie follows the same formula as any LPer out there. He just played scary games and got famous, whether luck got involved or not doesn't matter. the point is, you can still become successful even if your idea isn't anything new. He wasn't one of the ancients on youtube, he's fairly recent, with his channel launched in April 2010.

I my self decided to start an educational youtube channel. From the very few people I've shown my vidoes so far to, I've received criticism that they don't have appeal. Does this mean that my channel is unique? Maybe, maybe not. The point is that's the kind of risk you run into when starting a channel. Do you go for mass appeal and risk being a carbon copy of something else, or become unique and risk squeezing your self into an inhospitable niche where no living creature exists.

Everyone is a beautiful and unique snowflake...thus, so are everyone's channels. :penguin:

In all seriousness though, it really comes down to your personality. Thousands of people do vlogs, gaming videos, news, etc, but only a handful get noticed. It's their creativity, humor, characteristics, and let's face it...sometimes looks. For example, I took something TONS of people do on YouTube and tweaked it a bit. I am a YouTube gamer but I play weird games that not many other people play (especially girls for some reason). While most people are playing Minecraft, COD, or Far Cry, I'm playing Earthbound, McPixel, and PokeMMO. I'm a tad weird in real-life, thus, I'm going to be a tad weird in my gaming content.

Why watch a smaller channel versus a bigger channel? Like others have said, each channel brings a unique personality and that's their main tool to draw in the viewers.

It's like saying, why eat anywhere else when there's a McDonalds, or why drink coffee anywhere else when there's a Starbucks on every corner?

I don't see the problem with being similar to something, unless there's a crapton of it out there. You mentioned minecraft channels. This is an example where I think anymore of this idea is just too much. There's way too many people trying that out there.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't start a gaming channel at all, you can still build something out of it. Pewdiepie follows the same formula as any LPer out there. He just played scary games and got famous, whether luck got involved or not doesn't matter. the point is, you can still become successful even if your idea isn't anything new. He wasn't one of the ancients on youtube, he's fairly recent, with his channel launched in April 2010.

I my self decided to start an educational youtube channel. From the very few people I've shown my vidoes so far to, I've received criticism that they don't have appeal. Does this mean that my channel is unique? Maybe, maybe not. The point is that's the kind of risk you run into when starting a channel. Do you go for mass appeal and risk being a carbon copy of something else, or become unique and risk squeezing your self into an inhospitable niche where no living creature exists.
Again as I have said before... I am NOT saying that just because and idea has already been done dosnt mean that you dont have to make that idea or channel I am simply asking what are you doing to stand out from the croud? What makes people want to choose your idea or channel over someone elses.

Well I try to keep doing new videos. I do vlogs, parodies, original music, Minute Manifestos (where I rant about something for one minute. Copyright that! lol), and now I'm doing a short series with puppets called "The Roommates." Hopefully the series will propel me forward. The first script is funny in my opinion :)

I vlog.
But I try to keep it real. When I'm vlogging, I'm not just reading off a script, I'm vlogging from the heart.
So you get 100% of my weird, crazy, random, and kinda awkward self.

Everyone is a beautiful and unique snowflake...thus, so are everyone's channels. :penguin:

In all seriousness though, it really comes down to your personality. Thousands of people do vlogs, gaming videos, news, etc, but only a handful get noticed. It's their creativity, humor, characteristics, and let's face it...sometimes looks. For example, I took something TONS of people do on YouTube and tweaked it a bit. I am a YouTube gamer but I play weird games that not many other people play (especially girls for some reason). While most people are playing Minecraft, COD, or Far Cry, I'm playing Earthbound, McPixel, and PokeMMO. I'm a tad weird in real-life, thus, I'm going to be a tad weird in my gaming content.
I really like seeing vids like that the personality and the twist to a common theme make channels like yours enjoyable. :D

Well I try to keep doing new videos. I do vlogs, parodies, original music, Minute Manifestos (where I rant about something for one minute. Copyright that! lol), and now I'm doing a short series with puppets called "The Roommates." Hopefully the series will propel me forward. The first script is funny in my opinion :)
Awesome I had the same idea for a puppet roomate thing also but never got a round to making a puppet lol good luck with that! :D

Back