Video length - the shorter the better?

I think uploading somewhat regularly really helps but what helps more than anything is having some video's that YouTube likes to continually promote over time. I upload between 2-4 times per month and I get quite a bit more daily watch time than needed to hit 4000 hours in a year. and only at 99 subscribers at the time of posting this

View attachment 42016
yea
it will definitely help if you uploaded regularly, problem is for those people who have full time job and do this as a side, it's kind of impossible to reach those numbers

yea
it will definitely help if you uploaded regularly, problem is for those people who have full time job and do this as a side, it's kind of impossible to reach those numbers

I work 80+ hours per week 12-14 per day typically on week days and work shorter days in the shop on weekends. so 7 days per week I still manage to get a upload done at least every other week although I do shoot to upload a new video every week but it doesn't necessarily happen. having a few video's of footage in back log does really help and also mixing quicker topics with more involved topics. so I might put together a video that is less footage quicker edit to upload on a week I have less time while still working on a more involved video to upload next.

but my new uploads have little to do with my overall watch time, a lot of my watch time is older video's YouTube is still promoting that bring in views over a long period of time. most of my topics I cover don't have a shelf life and remain relevant over time. its all cumulative growth over time. even the video's that after there first surge of views settle down to only drawing 5-10 views per day x20 videos is 200 daily views then add in a couple really good performers that do 100 daily views and your at 400 daily views. say your average view duration is 3.8m that's 1520 watch mins per day. way more than enough to get to 4k hours.

I have read all these post and thank you for such wonderful advice. I was thinking about making my videos longer. I have only been out a week now and have about 559 mins of watch time with 17 Subscribers that I have built through new social media accounts and have stayed away from my family and friends till I can prove that I can keep a strangers attention. So thank you all for your words of wisdom !
- Big Home Toys Review

I keep my videos below 5 minutes mostly because they don't need to be that long, but either way I always want them to be below 5 minutes because that's how I like tech videos I watch. I usually get a decent amount by doing that so I think you should too.

Back